The Student Room Group

Dentistry / Bio Chem A-levels

I’m currently in Year 11 and choosing subjects to take in college is so hard for me because I my mind so often. I’ve been thinking about dentistry for a while now and have been quite set on taking Biology as an Alevel even though i’m not sure i want to dig around in peoples mouths in the future, but it does interest me. I’ve thought about culinary school and marketing (which im also still interested in), interior design, etc. i also like art

The requirements for dentistry are Biology and Chemistry but i also want to take Spanish for sure, im not sure if i should be putting myself through all of this work with Bio and Chem as the subjects are very content heavy.
Could I take maybe some course in Uni (idk what it’s called my sister did something similar for midwifery as she didn’t take science in college)

My grades in school are good and quite high, i’m not sure what i want to do in the future i know i want to have a lot of money lmao.
Please let me know if you have some advice thank youu :smile:)))
Reply 1
Original post by zuzi829
I’m currently in Year 11 and choosing subjects to take in college is so hard for me because I my mind so often. I’ve been thinking about dentistry for a while now and have been quite set on taking Biology as an Alevel even though i’m not sure i want to dig around in peoples mouths in the future, but it does interest me. I’ve thought about culinary school and marketing (which im also still interested in), interior design, etc. i also like art
The requirements for dentistry are Biology and Chemistry but i also want to take Spanish for sure, im not sure if i should be putting myself through all of this work with Bio and Chem as the subjects are very content heavy.
Could I take maybe some course in Uni (idk what it’s called my sister did something similar for midwifery as she didn’t take science in college)
My grades in school are good and quite high, i’m not sure what i want to do in the future i know i want to have a lot of money lmao.

Honestly bio and chem are very versatile subjects. You can do a LOT of degrees with them. A lot of people go from chem to finance.

Yes they may end up not being that relevant, but people KNOW that chemistry is one of the hardest a levels and so may look at you in that aspect.

Take 4 to keep your options open. Once you've had a feel of things, you can drop to 3 if you want to.

From someone who takes bio, chem, maths and politics I can very much vouch for the fact that they are content heavy. But I've enjoyed them so much I don't even mind it (apart from chem but I need it for my degree lol)(organic is kinda beautiful tho)

I know it's incredibly stressful trying to decide but things work out exactly how they're supposed to. If you don't like something you can switch or drop it. It's not the be all end all :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by zuzi829

I would say that when it comes to medicine or dentistry, your mind has to be pretty made up about doing biology and chemistry. You are right, they are both very content heavy A levels and I honestly wouldn't recommend taking both of them if you don't like the idea of studying dentistry. Biology and chemistry can open up a lot of doors for you in the STEM field, but don't force yourself to take subjects that you won't enjoy. I think you were talking about an access to higher education course, which is available for some courses, such as medicine and midwifery, but I'm not sure about dentistry (you'll have to check that yourself). If you don't end up picking chemistry and want to do dentistry by the end of Year 13, worst case scenario, you take a gap year and take chemistry on its own. I think biology and Spanish are great options to have down, but since you seem more creative, you might want to look into more arts/humanities/social science subjects to help you break into those fields if you change your mind again. I think graphics, maths and art would be good options for interior design as well as subjects like geography, sociology, psychology, politics and business for marketing.

As someone who also was quite indecisive with my A level options, you'll figure it out. Before sitting my GCSEs I thought I wanted to go into neuroscience or medicine and was planning on taking either chemistry, biology and philosophy or philosophy/RS, psychology and one of chemistry and biology. After doing my GCSEs, I knew that chemistry was something I did not enjoy and changed my options to philosophy/RS, psychology and biology. I narrowly missed the entry requirements for biology at my college and settled for English language and literature instead, since I did well in GCSE, but I ended up hating it and switching to politics about three weeks in (I did try to switch to biology first but there were no more spaces left). Although my mind changed a lot throughout my A levels, I'm happy with my decision to study psychology, politics and philosophy as I've found subjects that I'm not only good at but enjoy. Work experience in general surgery also made me realise that working in healthcare was not for me and I've decided to study law instead. My point is that your mind doesn't have to be fully made up before starting your A levels and exposure to different sectors throughout your studies will help you see which path is right for you. You'll have plenty of opportunities to change your subjects if you are really unhappy.

Also, depending on what you class as having 'lots of money' dentistry won't actually pay as well as you might think. The hours and pay are definitely better than in medicine, but I would still argue that all healthcare professionals, in the NHS at least, are severely underpaid. If you go private then that's a different matter.
Original post by zuzi829

My friend who’s interested in either medicine or modern languages has take bio chem Spanish and French. Chem is definitely the hardest of them, and bio has a lot of content, but she loves Spanish and French and finds them to be a nice change from the science (which she also enjoys). Point is if you want to take bio chem Spanish it’s totally doable and probably better that you take a non science subject as your third if content is what worries you

Quick Reply