The Student Room Group

Cambridge.

Hi, i wanna attend the Cambridge University. I am currently in college doing my BTEC, I’ve known that Cambridge do not really consider BTEC as a sufficient qualification to their degrees. I then came across a post that says getting a work experience might boost your chance to get into prestigious universities like Oxbridge.
As a college student, what work experience should i have and where?
Thank you.
Original post by Lmao9
Hi, i wanna attend the Cambridge University. I am currently in college doing my BTEC, I’ve known that Cambridge do not really consider BTEC as a sufficient qualification to their degrees. I then came across a post that says getting a work experience might boost your chance to get into prestigious universities like Oxbridge.
Thank you.

BTECs are not considered sufficient preparation for Cambridge generally. Work experience will only help if you already have a sufficient academic profile.
I add that academic excellence is the main thing. Work experience would only have marginal significance, if any, not least because universities realise that not everyone can obtain work experience.

You would be competing against candidates who have obtained or are expected to obtain high grades in A levels, the IB, and equivalents.
Reply 3
Original post by Lmao9
Thank you.

With BTECs you can't apply directly for Cambridge degree courses, but you might be able to get into their Foundation Year, Pre-degree course. As per https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/foundation-year

BTECs, Applied General and other Level 3 qualifications are generally accepted. But, there are some restrictions:

Qualifications must be Level 3.

Certificates, Diplomas and Subsidiary Diplomas are accepted alongside additional qualifications to meet the UCAS Tariff. For example, you could complete more than one BTEC or a combination of the BTEC with other qualifications (such as A levels).

Extended Diplomas are accepted. But we don't accept those that are vocational in focus. Vocationally oriented subjects include Hospitality, Public Services, Sport, Aviation Operations, Dental Technology, and Floristry etc.

Original post by Lmao9
Thank you.

Work experience means things like 10 years in the Armed Forces and then applying to do International Relations. It doesn't mean part time work in the sixth form etc.

Quick Reply