The Student Room Group

SAAS Funding

So I’ve been awarded a bursary of 10k for nursing and initial expenses and then obviously my tuition so I was wondering do I also get student finance? And if I do how do I apply for it if I’ve already sent a SAAS application and have been awarded money already?
Hi, the simple answer is no because your bursary, tuition fees etc is your student finance. There is no loans for nursing students because the bursary etc covers that
Original post by Bella.Sina
So I’ve been awarded a bursary of 10k for nursing and initial expenses and then obviously my tuition so I was wondering do I also get student finance? And if I do how do I apply for it if I’ve already sent a SAAS application and have been awarded money already?

Hi Bella

You won't be able to get student loan with you recieving the full NHS Scotland bursary and your university fees are also paid by the Scottish government. You can claim for certain things but discuss it with SAAS to see what you are entitled to if anything more okay.

There's information on the SAAS website about what you are able to claim back if on placements okay... You can't claim it back until you have completed the placement and then you get the necessary form filled in by the placement and you submit it to SAAS with any further information required.
You are entitled to claim back travelling expenses over £5 per day when you are doing your placement only as no provision for your university travelling expenses as they only give you it back for your placement if you spend more than £5 daily.

SAAS will go through everything with you so contact them.

Remember that you must reapply for your bursary etc each year of your degree course as you don't get it automatically okay.

NHS Scotland registered midwife.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi Bella
You won't be able to get student loan with you recieving the full NHS Scotland bursary and your university fees are also paid by the Scottish government. You can claim for certain things but discuss it with SAAS to see what you are entitled to if anything more okay.
There's information on the SAAS website about what you are able to claim back if on placements okay... You can't claim it back until you have completed the placement and then you get the necessary form filled in by the placement and you submit it to SAAS with any further information required.
You are entitled to claim back travelling expenses over £5 per day when you are doing your placement only as no provision for your university travelling expenses as they only give you it back for your placement if you spend more than £5 daily.
SAAS will go through everything with you so contact them.
Remember that you must reapply for your bursary etc each year of your degree course as you don't get it automatically okay.
NHS Scotland registered midwife.

Hi Tracey, I thought as much, and thanks for mentioning I have to reapply cause I didn’t know that. Is the process any different from when I first applied?
Original post by Bella.Sina
Hi Tracey, I thought as much, and thanks for mentioning I have to reapply cause I didn’t know that. Is the process any different from when I first applied?

You are welcome 🤗 🤗 Bella 😀 😀..

You just reapply same way as you have done for your first year ( I think you can start reapplying around end of March beginning of April each year ).

If you weren't told about having to reapply each year then you wouldn't have been able to go to university never mind getting your bursary. Yeah that's the problem no students nursing staff are aware of this issue with reapplying each year until they get told about it by the likes of myself when on place which is wrong as I think it should be automatically done with SAAS just asking for any info required if anything.

SAAS will guide you through it if unsure okay.

Hopefully you are looking forward to September and getting started with your nursing degree..... What university are you going to.

Quick Reply