The Student Room Group

How to get into the space industry?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to gain some general knowledge on what my next steps for masters should be. I have a BSc in Architecture however I am very interested in working in the space industry. I was thinking of possibly getting a MSc however I feel like MEng would be more beneficial/interesting for me and also work well with my bachelors too.

Are there any MEng courses I could study with a BSc in Architecture that could help me find a job in the space industry? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Original post by zen8162
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to gain some general knowledge on what my next steps for masters should be. I have a BSc in Architecture however I am very interested in working in the space industry. I was thinking of possibly getting a MSc however I feel like MEng would be more beneficial/interesting for me and also work well with my bachelors too.

Are there any MEng courses I could study with a BSc in Architecture that could help me find a job in the space industry? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Have you looked at the entry requirements for any MEng courses?
Original post by normaw
Have you looked at the entry requirements for any MEng courses?

Most of them only include A level requirements but other forums state its better to have a BEng but the change from BSc to MEng is possible. After this post, I did do more research on different master degrees and I’m interested in doing either Structural Engineering or Civil Engineering. Most universities have them both as an MSc rather than MEng though so I’m assuming this would work?
Original post by zen8162
Hi everyone,
Depends what you want to do in the space sector, but in Europe the space sector is relatively small (by comparison to North America) but due to the security & defence links it is very hard to move out of countries you would not be considered a security risk to.

Most people I know have a background in physics or mechanical/aerospace engineering. There are quite a few areas: propulsion, mission related, materials, control systems, communications systems, energy management... a lot of companies who develop the technology are small SMEs who work in a niche area and often they don’t get any exposure to the actual application management.
Depends what you want to do in the space sector, but in Europe the space sector is relatively small (by comparison to North America) but due to the security & defence links it is very hard to move out of countries you would not be considered a security risk to.
Most people I know have a background in physics or mechanical/aerospace engineering. There are quite a few areas: propulsion, mission related, materials, control systems, communications systems, energy management... a lot of companies who develop the technology are small SMEs who work in a niche area and often they don’t get any exposure to the actual application management.

I was thinking of MSc in Structural engineering or Civil engineering but yeah I am from the UK and attending Uni here so I was researching European space companies and they seem to hire all types of engineers but I don’t know if my BSc in Architecture would be a disadvantage or not even if I do get a MSc in one of the two engineering courses I stated.
Original post by zen8162
I was thinking of MSc in Structural engineering or Civil engineering but yeah I am from the UK and attending Uni here so I was researching European space companies and they seem to hire all types of engineers but I don’t know if my BSc in Architecture would be a disadvantage or not even if I do get a MSc in one of the two engineering courses I stated.

I typically associate structural engineering in academic degrees with civil engineering. I can’t say i know anyone working in space with that background, I suspect you are better looking at MSc aerospace opportunities but if you think that is the best route, fair enough.
I typically associate structural engineering in academic degrees with civil engineering. I can’t say i know anyone working in space with that background, I suspect you are better looking at MSc aerospace opportunities but if you think that is the best route, fair enough.

Aerospace does look very interesting however, I feel like Structural engineering or civil engineering would be a bit easier for me since i don’t have an engineering background and I feel like structural/civil would suit my architecture degree a bit better too. I have looked into aerospace engineering masters and although it does interest me and would be one of my options, I’m not sure if any Universities would even allow me to do it and I really don’t wanna do another undergraduate degree either😭😭
Masters courses described as a 'conversion course' want a first degree in Engineering - Aerospace Engineering MSc | 2024 | Postgraduate (sheffield.ac.uk)
Original post by zen8162
Aerospace does look very interesting however, I feel like Structural engineering or civil engineering would be a bit easier for me since i don’t have an engineering background and I feel like structural/civil would suit my architecture degree a bit better too. I have looked into aerospace engineering masters and although it does interest me and would be one of my options, I’m not sure if any Universities would even allow me to do it and I really don’t wanna do another undergraduate degree either😭😭

I don't see a civil/structural engineering degree being of much relevance to the space industry... unless you envisage designing and building spaceports or launch sites. I would imagine the space industry is very competitive to get into - most fun and interesting sounding ones are - so you'd probably be best to study something more relevant, most likely either aerospace or electrical & electronics (with the later probably being less competitive).

Quick Reply