The Student Room Group

English Literature A Level NEA

What novels did you pick for your NEA and which critical lens? Specifically AQA. I need help picking one!
Original post by chemicalmira201
What novels did you pick for your NEA and which critical lens? Specifically AQA. I need help picking one!

I guess it depends on how your course works, but I also did AQA and we had prose for one and poetry for the other and they had to be 2 different lenses and one of the texts had to be modern and the other nea=not, so if you already have one in ind or like know for example you would find feminism easier maybe you should save that lens for the type of text you find harder. If you dont already have a novel in mind , just read blurbs of a list of novels that you could ask school for or just search up and then pick one and read it and research it, you should pick a text you have an enjoyment towards. Whilst picking a novel I would also try to ensure there is enough resources on it, etc , especially since this is independant, it makes it harder when its a text which has nothing online available, you can still do it just makes it way more challenging.I wouldnt try to use other peoples judgement because like everyone in my class picked varying texts and theories it depends on you as an individual, If you already have a theory in mind, like I was thinking Ill do feminist theory, i just timed in google feminist texts etc and then that narrowed down the serach, perhaps you shoudl do that like pick a theory first that ur interested in and then search for novels from there...you can do this, just set down a day and just get it over with, You could also look at exemplar AQA NEA responses for ideas...🙂 trust ur judgement , I hope this helps and good luck
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply