The Student Room Group

How do i lock in/ feel motivated to study

Ok so this might sound weird but idk how to really feel motivated to study for Alevels. Im In Year 12 and I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology I'm probably going to have to resit because my mocks didn't go very well. I want to apply for Dentistry and my school isn't going to predict me anything close to the AAA or AAB i need for Dentistry, so what motivates you guys to study? Because I have an opportunity to resit in September so i get better UCAS grades but i don't know how I'm going to change my lifestyle from watching tv and doing other activities to proactively studying.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Grrrrr
Ok so this might sound weird but idk how to really feel motivated to study for Alevels. Im In Year 12 and I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology I'm probably going to have to resit because my mocks didn't go very well. I want to apply for Dentistry and my school isn't going to predict me anything close to the AAA or AAB i need for Dentistry, so what motivates you guys to study? Because I have an opportunity to resit in September so i get better UCAS grades but i don't know how I'm going to change my lifestyle from watching tv and doing other activities to proactively studying.
listen to music
Original post by Grrrrr

I just completed my university degree with outstanding marks, well above a first-class in Engineering. I also achieved A*AA in Scottish Advanced Highers, which are equivalent to A-levels in Maths, Physics, and Chemistry back when I was your age. Here are a few points that motivate me to study:
1. The Drive to Excel: I genuinely enjoy outperforming others; it's a deeply satisfying and, frankly, addictive feeling. I aim to achieve the highest marks wherever I am, regardless of the task. It doesn't matter what I'm competing in; I strive to excel. Adopting this "never say die" attitude is crucial.
2. Economic Realities of the UK: Observing the UK's economic situation, which is increasingly bleak, motivates me to study harder to secure a promising future. Analyzing the news and trends, it's clear that ensuring personal stability requires significant effort.
3. Financial Ambition: This point builds upon the previous one. The UK doesn’t currently feel like a wealthy country, and I aspire to afford any car, house, or top-tier medical care (without the long waits associated with the NHS). To achieve this, I need financial success, which is more attainable through strong academic performance leading to a high-paying job.

Now, let's discuss some important points to ensure optimal cognitive performance:
1. Maintain a Strict Diet: Ensure you follow a clean diet to provide your brain with all the necessary nutrients. Try to avoid or at least limit alcohol and drugs.
2. Consistent Exercise Routine: Engage in high-intensity exercise, such as gym workouts, at least three times a week. This is crucial for maintaining optimal blood flow to the brain, with numerous studies indicating that exercise boosts overall cognitive performance.
3. Adequate Sleep: This is self-explanatory. Aim for a minimum of 7 hours of sleep to recharge your batteries and maintain peak cognitive function.

Think carefully about what I've said. Once you do, you will realize that you have no time to waste. Mundane activities like watching TV can be minimized once you understand what's at stake.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply