The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Help Uni of Bath Accommodation please!

Bath Uni accommodation is all quite expensive to keep the cost down I’m looking at self catering - avoiding the added food voucher. However I like the look of Quads which has this add on.

Does anyone know if there is much difference to living in Woodland Court, Marlborough or Solsbury? If anyone can give me any pointers that would be great.

Also what’s John Wood like ?
Reply 1
Original post by Cantfindmykeys
Bath Uni accommodation is all quite expensive to keep the cost down I’m looking at self catering - avoiding the added food voucher. However I like the look of Quads which has this add on.
Does anyone know if there is much difference to living in Woodland Court, Marlborough or Solsbury? If anyone can give me any pointers that would be great.

Best to ask in the mega-thread.

@University of Bath please see above.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Oops I meant Brendon Court not John Wood?

Hi,

I lived in university managed accommodation in my first year and completely understand the worry of the financial cost at university.

Bath offers a range of accommodation both on campus and in the city, and the prices vary depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking to save money, I recommend a shared bathroom, self-catered accommodation. Our en-suite options are the most popular choice so be aware that theres a chance you may not receive one of your options if you put all en-suite down. I personally got my 5th choice accommodation, Westwood Quantock, and was in a flat of 17 with shared bathroom, self-catered. I remember being so worried about not having an en-suite but honestly the shared bathroom situation was completely okay and I’m glad I ended up here as I saved around £2K as I was paying a lot less for rent compared to others. I also met such great people and I would say the experience is more down to the flatmates and people you meet, at the end of the day you are only in halls for a year, so you won’t even remember the accommodation itself after you’ve moved out, it’ll be the memories and the people you’ve met. I also received the accommodation bursary from the University which I didn’t even have to apply for - the University contacted me letting me know I was eligible and took £1K off my accommodation expense. You can see all the accommodation options in a comparative table here: Undergraduate accommodation prices (bath.ac.uk).

The University provides a lot of financial advice and support for students such as short-term loans, bursaries and scholarships which you can find out more about here: Student Money Advice (bath.ac.uk). There are also many jobs within the SU and the university which are well paying. For example, I have worked as a student ambassador for the university which is very flexible, zero-hour contract and the money I get from this assist with my social and food costs.

In terms of differences between woodland, Marlborough and Solsbury, there isnt much. I would say that woodland court has bigger rooms and larger number of people per flat if you wanted a more social accommodation. Woodland court also has the option of shared rooms if you wanted an even cheaper alternative.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Sharon Herath (3rd year student)
Thank you!

Quick Reply