The Student Room Group

Validity and/or reliability of diagnosis and the classification of schizophrenia

Hi guys, I do AQA for psychology a level and was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm worried this will come up as an 8 or 16 marker on Monday and I won't know how to answer it.
What I'm confused about is what would count as AO1 and what would be AO3?
The main terms I can think of are defining reliability and validity of diagnosis, culture bias, gender bias, co morbidity and symptom overlap. I also know of 2 studies - Cheniaux and Rosenhan. Would you use culture bias etc in your AO1 or 3? If it goes in AO3 how do you have enough to talk about in AO1?
Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by audreyb123
Hi guys, I do AQA for psychology a level and was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm worried this will come up as an 8 or 16 marker on Monday and I won't know how to answer it.
What I'm confused about is what would count as AO1 and what would be AO3?
The main terms I can think of are defining reliability and validity of diagnosis, culture bias, gender bias, co morbidity and symptom overlap. I also know of 2 studies - Cheniaux and Rosenhan. Would you use culture bias etc in your AO1 or 3? If it goes in AO3 how do you have enough to talk about in AO1?
Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!

hey I would define reliability - consistency of diagnosis - talk about the Kappa score needing it to be 0.7 to be a good reliability however schizophrenia is only 0.37 - so not reliable

Research- Read et al - showed only 37% concordance rates
Copeland et al- found American physctrsit were more likely to diagnosis schizo then british

Then talk about validity- about how accurate the diagnosis is

I would talk about descriptive validity and criteron validity- defining them

The reserach wise talk about Rosehan- sane in insane places as it shows lack of validity and reliability

This would all be for ao1

then for ao3- i would talk about culture bias, gender bias

I would discuss how fermales are under diagnosised and males over diagnosed

Then talk about how we impose ettic for example afro carribeans are 7x more likely to be diagnosised with schizophrenia in GB- as we are applying birtish culture

als could talk about how hearing voices is nomral in some cultures - Rack found that it was part of the grieving process
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply