The Student Room Group

Eligibility for contextual offers when moving house

I'm going to have to move house soon, but I don't know where exactly and when I'll be moving. I have an idea of where I might be housed but I'm not 100% certain yet. I like Warwick for the 3 year law LLB course, but under my current address I'm not eligible for their contextual offer (which is strange because I'm eligible literally everywhere else, so I don't know what specific criteria they use). Under the postcode of the place I think I'm going to move to, I would qualify for their contextual offer which is AAB. I know I can get at least AAA, but I'm not sure about A*AA, so I don't know if I want to apply to the course yet. If I were to send my UCAS application off before I move house how would it affect my offers? Could I still apply to Warwick and get a contextual offer for law or do I have to do something on UCAS? I don't know if you're allowed to change things once the application is sent off but if not, I'll probably apply for PPL at Warwick instead (politics, philosophy and law BA) or use my last choice for a different course at a different university (most likely University of Birmingham or University of Manchester for their law LLB courses).

My other choices are:
University of York - Law LLB (contextual offer of BBB)
University of Leeds - Law LLB (contextual offer of AAB)
University of Nottingham - Law LLB (contextual offer of AAB)
University of Manchester - Law with Politics LLB (contextual offer of AAB)
Contextual conditions vary between universities and there is no national standard so you might qualify for one but not another and that isnt unusual.

The purpose of these offers is to increase the level of disadvantaged students in university.

If you dont meet a contextual flag then you are not considered disadvantaged by that university. Moving into an area to get a contextual offer is totally unacceptable and goes against the reason for making such offers.

A university will base its offers on the address shown on the ucas form and will have to consider whether they will change if somebody moves. Only they can answer what their reply will be but I very much doubt it will change their decision as that goes against the reason these offers are made and brings the whole system into disrepute and could well lead to the contextual system end up being removed.

These are not made to make it easier to get into university and to have lower offers. They are there to help students who are disadvantaged such as poorer schools to overcome those obstacles and moving address to get contextual offers certainly isnt what the system was brought in for.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Contextual conditions vary between universities and there is no national standard so you might qualify for one but not another and that isnt unusual.
The purpose of these offers is to increase the level of disadvantaged students in university.
If you dont meet a contextual flag then you are not considered disadvantaged by that university. Moving into an area to get a contextual offer is totally unacceptable and goes against the reason for making such offers.
A university will base its offers on the address shown on the ucas form and will have to consider whether they will change if somebody moves. Only they can answer what their reply will be but I very much doubt it will change their decision as that goes against the reason these offers are made and brings the whole system into disrepute and could well lead to the contextual system end up being removed.
These are not made to make it easier to get into university and to have lower offers. They are there to help students who are disadvantaged such as poorer schools to overcome those obstacles and moving address to get contextual offers certainly isnt what the system was brought in for.

Why are you assuming I’m moving by choice? I am not moving to a more disadvantaged area because I want a contextual offer, I’m moving because I’m being forced out of my home. I already said I wasn’t certain where I was moving, I’m just making a guess based on other things that aren’t relevant here. You’re assuming that I don’t already come from a disadvantaged background - like I said, Warwick is the only university where my current address does not qualify. I just wanted to know if there’s anything that I need to do on UCAS to let them know my postcode has changed in case it makes me eligible for a contextual offer after my application has been sent off.
Original post by bibachu
Why are you assuming I’m moving by choice? I am not moving to a more disadvantaged area because I want a contextual offer, I’m moving because I’m being forced out of my home. I already said I wasn’t certain where I was moving, I’m just making a guess based on other things that aren’t relevant here. You’re assuming that I don’t already come from a disadvantaged background - like I said, Warwick is the only university where my current address does not qualify. I just wanted to know if there’s anything that I need to do on UCAS to let them know my postcode has changed in case it makes me eligible for a contextual offer after my application has been sent off.

The fact is Warwick do not consider your current home disadvantaged or they would give you a contextual offer. This is where you have been living and just because you move somewhere else doesnt mean you have become more disadvantaged. You will have done your schooling in the old system. I really cannot see that any university is going to class you more disadvantaged because you just move somewhere else. It is what it is and you are considered based at your address when you fill in the ucas form. Your only other option is to ask Warwick to see what they say.

Quick Reply