The Student Room Group

What is the worst meal you've seen a friend/fellow student make?

I have seen some bad meals in my time as a student. I think the worst was when my flatmate made "tomato soup" by mixing half of MY bottle of ketchup with hot water. Let us know your answers!
I don’t know but the fire alarm went off at least once a fortnight in my accommodation so I’m assuming that people are cooking badly.

Yes I’ve burned and overcooked stuff beyond along with cooking badly as well at times but not to the point where I was setting off the alarm.
Somebody in my building also set off the fire alarm - they tried using the communal toaster to make homemade cheesy ‘rice krispies’ with a packet of Uncle Ben’s instant rice.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I don’t know but the fire alarm went off at least once a fortnight in my accommodation so I’m assuming that people are cooking badly.
Yes I’ve burned and overcooked stuff beyond along with cooking badly as well at times but not to the point where I was setting off the alarm.

Hey some of those alarms are sensitive! 😅
Original post by CCCU Official
Hey some of those alarms are sensitive! 😅

Nah, I’ve managed to burn stuff, get a lot of stream when cooking and still been able to not set off the alarm.
My husband used to (haven't seen him do in a while) wrap a stick of cheese in wafer thin ham then dip it in mayonnaise. always thought that was weird and a bit disgusting.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by hippieglitter
My husband used to (haven't seen him do in a while) wrap a stick of cheese in wafer thin ham then dip it in mayonnaise. always thought that was weird and a bit disgusting.

Kinda sounds good, I'm not gonna lie! 😂
Original post by CCCU Official
I have seen some bad meals in my time as a student. I think the worst was when my flatmate made "tomato soup" by mixing half of MY bottle of ketchup with hot water. Let us know your answers!

My mum puts soft cheese and the stinkiest brand of mustard onto toast. It looks and smells disgusting, (the mustard isn't smooth so that makes it worse). Yuk.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Nah, I’ve managed to burn stuff, get a lot of stream when cooking and still been able to not set off the alarm.

I believe older (ionisation) smoke alarm systems tend to be a lot more twitchy to cooking and smoking, newer (optical/heat) systems cope better with domestic false alarms. Smoke alarms are def not all equal anyway.
Original post by StriderHort
I believe older (ionisation) smoke alarm systems tend to be a lot more twitchy to cooking and smoking, newer (optical/heat) systems cope better with domestic false alarms. Smoke alarms are def not all equal anyway.

True but we lived in the same building so the alarms were the same. I was able to burn stuff and produce steam without setting the alarm off and there’s an extractor fan in each room/kitchen.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply