The Student Room Group

Continuing Student where will you be living during term time?

Where you will be living during term time?

Hello, I have two questions about the question "Where will you be living during term time?" on the application form for student finance.

I applying for student finance for 24/25 for my second year of university in england.

Question One this is regarding 2023-2024 academic year student finance.

During my third term this academic year (22 April 2024 to 8 June 2024) I have spent most of my time at home not living student accommodation. However this period is within my tenancy agreement and as such I have paid for my tenancy for this period. I went back into student accommodation university for a short period because of an exam (7th May 2024 - 9th May 2024) and as the 9th May was the day of my exam I have not had a reason to be in my accommodation since then.

Do I need to inform student finance about this or as I spent time in my student accommodation when it is practical and I paid for my tenancy and still spent some time in my student accommodation I am still entitled to money for living away from home during this period?

Question Two this is regarding 2024-2025 my application for my second year of University.

Considering I am not sure when my exams or how long I will be at university next year and based on the circumstances of the situation above. But intend on living in student accommodation next academic year should I put living away from home (student accommodation) for term three?
Hi there. What did you put for term 3 for 23/24 as your living location?

For 24/25, you would put wherever you would be spending the majority of your time for the living location for each term. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. What did you put for term 3 for 23/24 as your living location?
For 24/25, you would put wherever you would be spending the majority of your time for the living location for each term. Thanks, Leah.

For 23/24 I would have put living in student accommodation
Original post by Gambon
For 23/24 I would have put living in student accommodation

Hi there,

Thanks - in this case you don't need to change anything for your 23/24 application.

So long as you were living in accommodation at some point in Term 3 you can keep the extra entitlement you received because of this.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Hello,

Just for confirmation.

So for 24/25 I can put down I live in student accommodation for term one and two. For term three I can put down living in student accommodation as I might spend more time there instead next year. Even outside of my studies. Should it turn out I actually spend the majority of my time at home I can just submit a letter mentioning that my circumstances have changed and I have instead spent the majority of my time at home with my mum.
Original post by Gambon
Hello,
Just for confirmation.
So for 24/25 I can put down I live in student accommodation for term one and two. For term three I can put down living in student accommodation as I might spend more time there instead next year. Even outside of my studies. Should it turn out I actually spend the majority of my time at home I can just submit a letter mentioning that my circumstances have changed and I have instead spent the majority of my time at home with my mum.

Hi there. It's really up to you. If it turns out you haven't spent any time living in accommodation in term 3 and then change this to parental home at a later date, please note your the final term would be reassessed for the parental home rate, which would decrease your entitlement.

If you already received the elsewhere rate for term 3 and then changed term 3 to parental, this can cause an overpayment. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply