The Student Room Group

PPL at oxford

hi there im unsure of whether i should pursue psychology and philosophy, or psychology and linguistics as a bipartite degree

for a levels, i will definitely take psychology and religious studies as im very interested with those subjects, however i am unsure whether to take english or biology as my third a level.

if i choose biology, i would probably go for psychology and philosophy.
if i choose english, i would probably go for psychology and linguistics.

if anyone have knowledge of studying philosophy or linguistics at uni, please could you differentiate the two for me to help my understanding of what option i should go with.

i am not taking maths a level, and i want to pursue a branch of psychology as a career in the future.
Go to an Oxford Open Day and ask them - Open Days and visiting | University of Oxford
psych and phil student here. I feel that either english or biology (or maths) would be quite helpful for PPL.
I think the best way to get an feel of what the courses are like to is to try some introductory readings (which can be found on the uni website or just googling) or taking free online courses on sites like Coursera
first year philosophy at oxford (for PPL) has 3 main modules: general philosophy (epistemology and metaphysics), moral philosophy and logic (which is largely based on the logic manual by volker halbach). a week's work usually involves an essay in preparation for a tutorial, and maybe a problem sheet for logic
for your A levels choices, I might recommend going for biology instead of english since it provides a better foundation for psychology, especially when it comes to interviews. psychology at oxford (even for PPL) does include quite a bit of biology and stats
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
psych and phil student here. I feel that either english or biology (or maths) would be quite helpful for PPL.
I think the best way to get an feel of what the courses are like to is to try some introductory readings (which can be found on the uni website or just googling) or taking free online courses on sites like Coursera
first year philosophy at oxford (for PPL) has 3 main modules: general philosophy (epistemology and metaphysics), moral philosophy and logic (which is largely based on the logic manual by volker halbach). a week's work usually involves an essay in preparation for a tutorial, and maybe a problem sheet for logic
for your A levels choices, I might recommend going for biology instead of english since it provides a better foundation for psychology, especially when it comes to interviews. psychology at oxford (even for PPL) does include quite a bit of biology and stats

please note i am not taking maths at a level, and my school doesnt offer philosophy so i am taking RS, i hope thats ok.
im pretty set on taking philosophy in the bipartite degree and my sister does modern lang and philosophy at oxford so i have a base idea of whats its about.
did you do biology aqa at alevel? i wonder if its quite difficult, at gcse im predicted an 8 but honestly my revision has been so last minute im unsure if ill be able to keep up at a level, do you feel bio a level is necessary for psych in ppl.
also can you elaborate on the interviewing part please.
i don't think doing biology is absolutely necessary for PPL psych but I think it will be very helpful especially if you're interested in pursuing a career in psych afterwards
most of psych has some basis in biology, and Oxford certainly teaches a lot of biological psych (and I guess the same applies to most top UK psych degrees)
for psych interviews, they will almost definitely ask you something that involves the more biological side of psychology (though it wouldn't be too hard), maybe a bit about evolution or neuroscience, and maybe some data interpretation/statistics
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
i don't think doing biology is absolutely necessary for PPL psych but I think it will be very helpful especially if you're interested in pursuing a career in psych afterwards
most of psych has some basis in biology, and Oxford certainly teaches a lot of biological psych (and I guess the same applies to most top UK psych degrees)
for psych interviews, they will almost definitely ask you something that involves the more biological side of psychology (though it wouldn't be too hard), maybe a bit about evolution or neuroscience, and maybe some data interpretation/statistics

ok thank you for your advice, can u give an example question for the data interpretation and statistics. im not especially great at maths so do u think ill struggle?

Quick Reply