The Student Room Group

aspiring law student help

Hi, In September this year, i will be starting my first year of A levels (subjects chosen: English Literature, Economics, Spanish, psychology and, most likely, an EPQ). I would love to study law at university and my dream would be to go to UCL (University College London). I know grades, especially A level grades, are going to be the most important factor, but what else can higher your chances of being accepted into a top university/ how can you appear a better candidate? I have quite a few leadership roles in my school already, including, having co-found and led a club, and I have a work experience placement lined up for Summer. Those of you who have/ are studying law and/or have attended/ attending/ due to attend a university such as UCL, what work experience or extracurriculars are important and useful to have? Thank you!!

Also are these subjects a good mix for wanting to study law?
hey! not in the greatest position to help you since im year 11 but js curious how did you find your work experience? i wanna do law too but i haven't really been able to find anything yet :frown:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by IbrahimBalogun07
hey! not in the greatest position to help you since im year 11 but js curious how did you find your work experience? i wanna do law too but i haven't really been able to find anything yet :frown:

Hi!! Honestly, I just got my placement through family friends connections- sorry this isn't that much help 😕
Just keep on looking and asking around and I'm sure you will find one! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Jaykaur4
Hi!! Honestly, I just got my placement through family friends connections- sorry this isn't that much help 😕
Just keep on looking and asking around and I'm sure you will find one! Good luck! :smile:

its okay 🙂 thanks for replying tho i hope you get the advice you want!!
Original post by Jaykaur4
Hi, In September this year, i will be starting my first year of A levels (subjects chosen: English Literature, Economics, Spanish, psychology and, most likely, an EPQ). I would love to study law at university and my dream would be to go to UCL (University College London). I know grades, especially A level grades, are going to be the most important factor, but what else can higher your chances of being accepted into a top university/ how can you appear a better candidate? I have quite a few leadership roles in my school already, including, having co-found and led a club, and I have a work experience placement lined up for Summer. Those of you who have/ are studying law and/or have attended/ attending/ due to attend a university such as UCL, what work experience or extracurriculars are important and useful to have? Thank you!!
Also are these subjects a good mix for wanting to study law?

Yes they’re fine there’s no proper requirements for law other than very high grades. I’d actually suggest focussing on three a levels instead of four and doing the EPQ, so you can focus on getting A’s and A*’s ideally on them, as universities only require three a levels anyhow and the epq will also bump your application.
Reply 5
Original post by IbrahimBalogun07
its okay 🙂 thanks for replying tho i hope you get the advice you want!!

thank you, you too!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by greentiger
Yes they’re fine there’s no proper requirements for law other than very high grades. I’d actually suggest focussing on three a levels instead of four and doing the EPQ, so you can focus on getting A’s and A*’s ideally on them, as universities only require three a levels anyhow and the epq will also bump your application.

Thank you!! My school would like us to start with 4 a-levels, but I am definitely going to drop one, so I will be doing 3 plus the EPQ 🙂
Original post by greentiger

I agree. Drop one A level and do three, not four. That way you are more likely not to burn out and to get good grades. Your school might be being a bit silly by asking people to do four A levels. People wishing to study Maths, Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science at university might benefit from doing Further Maths as well as Maths, but people aiming at other subjects only need three A levels.

Prepare to take the LNAT by doing practice papers. The LNAT is tough!

Read widely about the law and its role in society. Familiarise yourself with the UK's Constitutional arrangements and the core outline of the political history of the UK since 1688. Stay up to date with current affairs.

Visit civil and criminal courts. If you can get some experience in a law firm or a barristers' chambers, great. I see that you have lined something up already - good stuff. For others, don't worry, Law Schools know that work experience is hard to obtain.

Consider subject-relevant essay competitions, summer schools, moots and so on.

Good luck!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply