The Student Room Group

History A Level sources

Hi guys
Has anyone got any tips to know how to revise for potential source questions?
I've been revising loads but some of the past source questions seem to be quite niche so I'm unsure how I'd add many relevant facts in.

This is regarding my upcoming 2 exams: Italian unification, and then Germany united divided and reunited.

I'd really appreciate any help.... I'm quite a study stresser. Thank you.
I don't do your components, but I do history and I would suggest the NOPAT approach to source essays: nature, origin, purpose, audience and tone. As well as provenance (which is what NOPAT is for), you need to talk about the argument being made and then your contextual knowledge, making sure to link everything to the question.

For example: Source A is valuable to an historian studying ... to a significant extent. NOPAT - this is important because it tells us this... in relation to the question. Source A is also valuable in content because the author says... which links to this... overall source A is valuable to a significant extent but (limitations).

Sometimes the source does not have limitations and that is fine and you also don't need to fully agree with the source all of the time either. It might also be worth checking out example answers: A_level_History_Exemplar_pack_-_Paper_ 2_(AO2)_-_(Summer 2018).pdf (pearson.com)
Notes and guidance: Guide to the source question: Component 2 Depth study (aqa.org.uk)
A level History_ - _Exemplar_pack_-_Paper_1_(AO3)_-_(Summer 2018).pdf (pearson.com)

Of course only look at the higher level responses and I don't know which exam board you're on but it should be easy to find exemplars online. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by emily-05
I don't do your components, but I do history and I would suggest the NOPAT approach to source essays: nature, origin, purpose, audience and tone. As well as provenance (which is what NOPAT is for), you need to talk about the argument being made and then your contextual knowledge, making sure to link everything to the question.
For example: Source A is valuable to an historian studying ... to a significant extent. NOPAT - this is important because it tells us this... in relation to the question. Source A is also valuable in content because the author says... which links to this... overall source A is valuable to a significant extent but (limitations).
Sometimes the source does not have limitations and that is fine and you also don't need to fully agree with the source all of the time either. It might also be worth checking out example answers: A_level_History_Exemplar_pack_-_Paper_ 2_(AO2)_-_(Summer 2018).pdf (pearson.com)
Notes and guidance: Guide to the source question: Component 2 Depth study (aqa.org.uk)
A level History_ - _Exemplar_pack_-_Paper_1_(AO3)_-_(Summer 2018).pdf (pearson.com)
Of course only look at the higher level responses and I don't know which exam board you're on but it should be easy to find exemplars online. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much! I'll have a look :smile:

Quick Reply