The Student Room Group

Should I keep lying to my work?

Hi all,
I am currently working a part time job at a supermarket and I had originally told the manager that, after my A-levels, I wanted to go full-time and progress in the company.

I have now landed an interview to be a piano teacher and have been told it is just a formality and it is already a yes. They wanted a reference from my current employer so I said please don't contact them because I haven't said I'm leaving yet. They want me to get back once I've told them.

I honestly just want to quit now because I am hating work at the moment, but I need to pay for my car so I can't have no job. There is two months between now and the new job so should I just tell my employer that I will be leaving in September? (Once the new job offer is final of course)

I don't want them to retaliate and start trying to manage me out, but I can't be jobless- my parents will offer me no help and have already said that I can't be "lazing around all summer".

It is really stressing me out because I'm in the middle of A-levels and I'm fed up of lying and saying I still want to progress where I am now. I just want to get it sorted and focus on my exams.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by 176253
Hi all,
I am currently working a part time job at a supermarket and I had originally told the manager that, after my A-levels, I wanted to go full-time and progress in the company.
I have now landed an interview to be a piano teacher and have been told it is just a formality and it is already a yes. They wanted a reference from my current employer so I said please don't contact them because I haven't said I'm leaving yet. They want me to get back once I've told them.
I honestly just want to quit now because I am hating work at the moment, but I need to pay for my car so I can't have no job. There is two months between now and the new job so should I just tell my employer that I will be leaving in September? (Once the new job offer is final of course)
I don't want them to retaliate and start trying to manage me out, but I can't be jobless- my parents will offer me no help and have already said that I can't be "lazing around all summer".
It is really stressing me out because I'm in the middle of A-levels and I'm fed up of lying and saying I still want to progress where I am now. I just want to get it sorted and focus on my exams.
Any help would be much appreciated.

First - they won't try to manage you out
Second, in a large supermarket I doubt your line manager would even know about a reference, it will be a straight factual statement from HR that you work there.
You are part time, it's quite likely you have a second job.
Just hand in your notice when you need to.

Quick Reply