The Student Room Group

Transferring to another Uni and starting a new major

Hi there 👋 am applying for another university (transferring)

I finished my first year plus (foundation year)

Now I want to join London metropolitan university 2nd year

My current major is business management

The major I want to start at London metropolitan is real estate degree

But the university offered me 1st year entry instead

So will I get full SFE if I enrolled for this new degree

Because I heard over the tution and maintenance loan you get of your degree you have one additional year which is (Gift year )

There are other universities I applied to for 2nd year entry , just incase was wondering if I end up with the London metropolitan university.

Will SFE pay me if I start technically a new major .

I am in the process of contacting SFE , just wanted to know from people perspective who went through that experience

Thank you in advance
Original post by Ace323
Hi there 👋 am applying for another university (transferring)
I finished my first year plus (foundation year)
Now I want to join London metropolitan university 2nd year
My current major is business management
The major I want to start at London metropolitan is real estate degree
But the university offered me 1st year entry instead
So will I get full SFE if I enrolled for this new degree
Because I heard over the tution and maintenance loan you get of your degree you have one additional year which is (Gift year )
There are other universities I applied to for 2nd year entry , just incase was wondering if I end up with the London metropolitan university.
Will SFE pay me if I start technically a new major .
I am in the process of contacting SFE , just wanted to know from people perspective who went through that experience
Thank you in advance

Hi there,

Can you please confirm how long your new course is? Is there a foundation year for the course but you're going straight into year 1, so skipping foundation year? Is it just your foundation year and year 1 of your Business Management course you've studied? This would be 2 years of previous study.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Hi Ross my new course is 3 years , no am applying for 1st year entry. And yes I only did foundation year and first year which means two years of previous study.

So I was calculating how many years I have left correct me if am wrong

Duration of your degree - previous study+ one year :-

4 - 2 + 1 = 3 years of tution from student finance left

So I started my business management with foundation year (4 years degree ) so I have completed my foundation year and first year (2 years of previous study)

So that's mean I have 3 years left (2 years + 1 gift year)

Looking forward to hear again from you Ross

Thank you again

Ace
Original post by Ace323
Hi Ross my new course is 3 years , no am applying for 1st year entry. And yes I only did foundation year and first year which means two years of previous study.
So I was calculating how many years I have left correct me if am wrong
Duration of your degree - previous study+ one year :-
4 - 2 + 1 = 3 years of tution from student finance left
So I started my business management with foundation year (4 years degree ) so I have completed my foundation year and first year (2 years of previous study)
So that's mean I have 3 years left (2 years + 1 gift year)
Looking forward to hear again from you Ross
Thank you again
Ace

Hi there, if you are going into first year and have two years of previous study then you'd be fully funded for 2nd and 3rd year (and or 4th if applicable) but for year 1 would just be the maintenance loan and any grants, unless you have CPR: Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you weren't able to previously complete your course. I've enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply