The Student Room Group

Tech Apprenticeship Advice

Hi, I want to do a degree apprenticeship in the tech sector. I have recently taken my national 5 exams, going to study highers soon. I'm planning to study highers, learn web dev and DSA, and make projects. What else can I do? Get work experience? If so then where can I get it?

I have also done some volunteering, around 150 hours.

Thank you
Original post by LLAMAguy
Hi, I want to do a degree apprenticeship in the tech sector. I have recently taken my national 5 exams, going to study highers soon. I'm planning to study highers, learn web dev and DSA, and make projects. What else can I do? Get work experience? If so then where can I get it?
I have also done some volunteering, around 150 hours.
Thank you

Hi,

Sounds like you've got lots of good experience - well done. I would strongly recommend getting work experience on top of this. This is the number 1 thing employers look for when hiring degree apprentices.

Next thing I'd recommend is writing a really high quality CV and cover letter as you will need those for your applications. If you haven't done one before, I can send over some links on how to write the best CVs and cover letters for applying to degree apprenticeships.

Finally, I'd recommend when you come round to applying, apply to lots of companies so you get lots of practice at the assessment centres. For example, the more interviews you do, the better you will be at them.

As I said, let me know if you want me to send through these links. I can also send through some links related to tech and tech work experience opportunities which are available right now. Just let me know if you're interested. Otherwise, good luck in your apprenticeship applications.
Hi LLAMAguy,

Your current plans sound solid. To strengthen your application and skills, I would recommend getting work experience.
Work experience is incredibly valuable, especially in the tech industry. Look for short internships at tech companies, even small startups. These can often be more accessible and provide hands-on experience. (Employers will love that and it gives you loads to talk about.

Part-time Jobs - Any job that involves technology or coding can be beneficial. Even IT support roles can provide valuable experience. Looking at other part time jobs in other industries is also amazing as it gives you something to talk about and lots of soft skills that transfer. Companies will be looking for these soft skills!

Websites like Upwork or Fiverr can offer opportunities to work on small projects. This can help in starting to build a portfolio and gain practical experience. Do your own things at home behind your computer. Make servers on Oracle or free platforms, experiment with Linux and running local game stuff at home. What worked for me was successful stories about helping others outside of IT, such as tutoring or building large communities from scratch. Working on personal projects can be one of the best ways to learn.

Start building your professional network. Join tech meetups, online forums, and LinkedIn groups related to your interests. Look for opportunities locally or online for events that you can show face! Networking can often lead to job opportunities and valuable advice.

Consider getting certifications in areas relevant to your interests. Certifications from platforms like Coursera, edX, and Udemy can be valuable. Look into certifications for web development, cloud computing (AWS, Azure), cybersecurity, etc.
Contributing to open-source projects on GitHub can be a great way to gain experience and demonstrate your skills. It also shows that you can collaborate with other developers.

Your 150 hours of volunteering is impressive. You can leverage this experience by volunteering for tech-related causes. For example, offer to build websites for non-profits or assist in coding workshops for kids.
Finding a mentor in the tech industry can provide guidance, support, and insights that are invaluable. Look for mentors through networking events, LinkedIn, or even ask your teachers if they know anyone who could help.

Remember, companies will be looking through loads of CVs, so you want loads of things that will make you stand out. Once you get to the interview, that's where your talent can truly shine! Lots of practice and preparation will definitely help out but use the skills you learn along the way and really show a big interest.

Feel free to shoot me a DM. I have been to many interviews and had offers. Looking forward to joining a company in Sept.
Good luck with your journey!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply