The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

what’s the environment like for British Asian students in Belfast/queens uni Belfast?

hey might be a silly question but whats the environment like British Asian (south Asian) students?
I really like Queens University Belfast.the recent issues with immigration have sparked more tensions according to some news and online posts etc, and ofc one hears about the tension with the English, I wonder if anyone knows what the general vibe is for brown British ppl?
I know you cannot generalise a place, and most certainly there’s ignorant people and really nice people everywhere, but id like to get some perspectives maybe? Please don’t misunderstand this post not saying I’m expecting bad stuff, just want to ask some questions as someone who srsly likes the uni but doesn’t know anybody who goes there or lives in NI.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hey might be a silly question but whats the environment like British Asian (south Asian) students?
I really like Queens University Belfast.the recent issues with immigration have sparked more tensions according to some news and online posts etc, and ofc one hears about the tension with the English, I wonder if anyone knows what the general vibe is for brown British ppl?
I know you cannot generalise a place, and most certainly there’s ignorant people and really nice people everywhere, but id like to get some perspectives maybe? Please don’t misunderstand this post not saying I’m expecting bad stuff, just want to ask some questions as someone who srsly likes the uni but doesn’t know anybody who goes there or lives in NI.
Thanks in advance

Hi,

I am of a mixed background myself and have been living in NI for 17 years. I have studied at postgraduate level at Queen's as well.
Honestly, despite NI' s history and things you may have read or heard, Belfast is a vibrant city with mostly lovely and friendly people with a great sense of humour.
You will have some persons, like everywhere else, who may not be welcoming. But they are not representative of NI as a whole, definitely not.
So if you like Queen's....go for it!!

Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Quick Reply