The Student Room Group

Bike stolen from the student accommodation bike storage

My bike which costs about £1500 was stolen from the bike storage inside the student accommodation building.

It was a forcible entry through the emergency exit and the management team didn’t realize it happened until I noticed them the next day afternoon.

I claimed that there is a mismanagement and lack of security, so I should be given a compensation.
However, the manager refused to give a compensation and said I should apply for recovery through the insurance they have for the building. The insurance doesn’t even cover the 1/10of bike price and I am frustrated.

The manager said it was my responsibility to add additional insurance for the expensive bike but who would expect the forcible entry when there’s 24/7 receptionist. This is the reason why I didn’t apply for the insurance and bought the bike.

Has anyone faced similar problem or know how I can approach this situation?
Is it private student acommodation? Or uni managed?
unless you have reason to believe that the theft was aided by the bike garage staff, i think unfortunately you'll only ever be covered by their (limited) insurance unless you get additional coverage

obviously there may have been laziness and/or generally poor security, but what would a receptionist have done anyway? this 'what if' case is unfortunately why lots of people prefer to be overinsured

i'm no expert, but i think that's going to be the case, unless you know who to badger about it
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Is it private student acommodation? Or uni managed?
It is an intercollegiate hall.
only other thing i can suggest is look at other insurance policies you may have that could cover this. it's possible your parents' one may cover you, idk, worth checking
If entry was forced I don't think you have much complaint, do you have any contract with them for storage that sets out their responsibilities?

Personally I would have properly insured it to agreed value. student places are notoriously a soft target, lots of people away from home with all their gadgets with lots of new faces coming and going.
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
If entry was forced I don't think you have much complaint, do you have any contract with them for storage that sets out their responsibilities?
Personally I would have properly insured it to agreed value. student places are notoriously a soft target, lots of people away from home with all their gadgets with lots of new faces coming and going.

The contact doesn’t specifically set out the responsibility for the bike but since the bike storage is within the building, I suppose it should be part of their secured/managed area.
Reply 7
Original post by HoldThisL
unless you have reason to believe that the theft was aided by the bike garage staff, i think unfortunately you'll only ever be covered by their (limited) insurance unless you get additional coverage
obviously there may have been laziness and/or generally poor security, but what would a receptionist have done anyway? this 'what if' case is unfortunately why lots of people prefer to be overinsured
i'm no expert, but i think that's going to be the case, unless you know who to badger about it

I had my stuff stolen last year from my room and this time is the bike, so I want to complain about the security. I don’t expect to get full cost of bike but there should be something compensated for the mismanagement. Do you think I have nothing I can do since I don’t have additional insurance🥲…
Original post by ia07097
I had my stuff stolen last year from my room and this time is the bike, so I want to complain about the security. I don’t expect to get full cost of bike but there should be something compensated for the mismanagement. Do you think I have nothing I can do since I don’t have additional insurance🥲…

hard for you to prove mismanagement and even less likely for the garage to admit it

unfortunately not everything deserves compensation
Original post by ia07097
It is an intercollegiate hall.

So it should be uni managed. That gives you the option of submitting a formal complaint to the uni itself if there have been multiple thefts. Probably relying on goodwill on their part though.

Ultmately you are bound by whatever liability is in your rental agreement and by extension, the insurance policy that covers the building. £150 sounds like quite a low cap to me, but I can well understand it not covering a £1500 loss which is an expensive kit that should have had its own coverage.

As above, there's lots of thefts from campuses and even a 'secure' building really isn't, lots of coming and going and easy to tailgate.
Totally on you and your lack of insurance.

I expect even if it's not in your contract specifically about stolen bicycles, there is likely a clause in your tenancy, and/or in the accommodation guide/A to Z, and/or or on the uni websire which makes clear that the Uni does not have any liability for lost or stolen belongings.

You took a calculated risk based on staff being present, gambled and lost.

Quick Reply