The Student Room Group

70/80 in gcse maths exam, questions!

Hi, I’ve been studying, learning relearning and revising for my GCSEs I’ll retake next year. I’ve taken some papers and done quite well in my opinion. I took the 2022 gcse edexel non calculator maths paper and got 70/80. What grade is this? Also, should I take the advanced paper?

Thanks!
Reply 1
did u do the foundation paper or higher tier?
Original post by User_09
did u do the foundation paper or higher tier?

Foundation. The ones I got wrong were just silly errors or gaps in my knowledge.
Reply 3
Original post by heart-shaped-beq
Hi, I’ve been studying, learning relearning and revising for my GCSEs I’ll retake next year. I’ve taken some papers and done quite well in my opinion. I took the 2022 gcse edexel non calculator maths paper and got 70/80. What grade is this? Also, should I take the advanced paper?
Thanks!

In 2022 the average mark per paper required for the top grade in the foundation paper was 58/80 (a 5 was 173/240). Getting 70/80 is a great score! However, you should be cautious before starting the higher course with only a year to learn the extra content, so see exactly what more you need to learn and if you'll be able to cover it all, because there are a lot more concepts you'll need to learn for the higher tier exam.
Reply 4
A good comparison could be to see the corresponding 2022 paper in the higher tier to see what concepts and style of question come up in that paper that don't in the foundation paper. It would help give you an idea of what kind of jump in difficulty the higher tier might be for you.
Reply 5
if ur happy with a grade 5, do foundation. But if u want to aim higher, i think u could definetly do higher tier maths, as long as u have the time to learn the content and ur willing to do lots of practice, since u have a whole year and like u said ur main mistakes were just silly errors or things u didnt know, if u learn all the higher content u could smash the higher paper!
Original post by zmp903
A good comparison could be to see the corresponding 2022 paper in the higher tier to see what concepts and style of question come up in that paper that don't in the foundation paper. It would help give you an idea of what kind of jump in difficulty the higher tier might be for you.

Hai! I did the same year paper for higher and got 25. I only attempted 11 of 24of the questions because I’ve never learnt any of some parts. I knew some of the algebra though what’s 25/80 in higher?
Reply 7
Original post by heart-shaped-beq
Hai! I did the same year paper for higher and got 25. I only attempted 11 of 24of the questions because I’ve never learnt any of some parts. I knew some of the algebra though what’s 25/80 in higher?

25/80 average (or 75/240) is a 5. Don't worry if you don't understand some of the topics, you have a year or so to learn them if you want to.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/GCSE/2206-gcse-9-1-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 8
if ur already getting a 5 in higher i think u should definitely try for it, cos chances are that youll get a much higher grade by the end of next year. don't restrict urself to a grade 5 if u know u can get better, as long as ur willing to learn the content!

Quick Reply