The Student Room Group

GCSE Modern Languages Writing Tips

I am doing my GCSE Polish writing exam in a few weeks. I've did a couple of practice papers, and I noticed that I tend to overwrite by a lot.

How can I ensure that I stick to the amount of words that a question tells me to write (e.g. 90 words)? It seems impractical to constantly keep on counting how many words I wrote, so are there any tricks to help me with this.

Also, do I have to format my answers in the way that a question tells me to? For example, a question might say: "write a letter about...(•bullet point 1 •bullet point 2)". In this case would I have to start my answer with a "Dear (name)" and a sign off of can I just simply go straight info answering the bullet points. Additionally, do I also have to structure my answer in paragraphs and add an introduction to my answer?

Thanks for reading this.
Reply 1
Original post by VoiidDev
I am doing my GCSE Polish writing exam in a few weeks. I've did a couple of practice papers, and I noticed that I tend to overwrite by a lot.
How can I ensure that I stick to the amount of words that a question tells me to write (e.g. 90 words)? It seems impractical to constantly keep on counting how many words I wrote, so are there any tricks to help me with this.
Also, do I have to format my answers in the way that a question tells me to? For example, a question might say: "write a letter about...(•bullet point 1 •bullet point 2)". In this case would I have to start my answer with a "Dear (name)" and a sign off of can I just simply go straight info answering the bullet points. Additionally, do I also have to structure my answer in paragraphs and add an introduction to my answer?
Thanks for reading this.

Starting with the second question, you do not need to do introductions or paragraphs or format it at all in the style they ask for - in the markscheme it says:
"There is no requirement for candidates to present their piece of writing in a particular way because of the context, eg a blog or email does not need to look like a blog or email. It is the content which is to be marked." So, go straight into the content.
I would say, if you struggle about word length, try and think in terms of sentence length. At GCSE you won't find much value in doing very short sentences, you want to develop them more, so each sentence is likely to be about 10 words or so each (obviously you can adjust for how long your sentences are). So, aiming for a number of sentences may be more beneficial; say, 2-3 sentences per bullet point in Q1, and 6-7 sentences per bullet point in Q2.
If you feel your sentences go on for too long, keep it more structured and basic, using more straightforward phrases but making sure they are accurate, while trying to achieve some of the devices they look for in the answer. Don't try to do too much in one sentence is my advice, else you risk losing accuracy marks (and content marks if you go off-track): the risk is that "a candidate may write much more than 150 words, but the language is so inaccurate that only a limited amount of information is conveyed successfully."
Here are some of the things they look for in Q2:
Screenshot 2024-05-31 224618.pngScreenshot 2024-05-31 224759.png
And also the link to the markscheme: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2020/november/AQA-86884H-W-MS-NOV20.PDF

Quick Reply