The Student Room Group

Most accomdation already booked

Is it usual for most accomdation to be already booked. I've just been offered 8300 a year accomdation, which is uni manged housing. The house is a bit dinghy and i dont have my own bathroom. My 3 preferences (which are 5000-5500 a year) are fully booked and uni manged housing is the only option.

I applied the 15th of may is it my fault for applying so late.
Reply 1
Original post by Ertfferrd
Is it usual for most accomdation to be already booked. I've just been offered 8300 a year accomdation, which is uni manged housing. The house is a bit dinghy and i dont have my own bathroom. My 3 preferences (which are 5000-5500 a year) are fully booked and uni manged housing is the only option.
I applied the 15th of may is it my fault for applying so late.

It's not unusual.

Most universities reserve rooms for first years and you get what you're given when your offer is confirmed on results day. They also have rooms allocated for 2nd and 3rd years. They can book these in November.

For privately managed student accommodation (Downing Students, United, Dwell), booking opens in November and it's first come first served. Many cheaper and appealing options (ensuite) sell out quickly.

If you sat on your offer before looking at accomdation, that did not help but you don't know what you don't know.

It depends on the terms of your tenancy but if it's university managed, could you take the one you have been offered and go on a waiting list for the cheaper ensuite. People will not get their grades (or do better) and not go, so rooms may become available. It is really important to check the terms.

However, if you it is privately managed, you cannot do this and will be liable for the full amount.

You will be living there all year, do make sure you are comfortable. Look at private student accommodation in your area. Similar prices to your dingy house but usually very nice with ensuite.

Good luck!

Quick Reply