The Student Room Group

Who do I believe, family or friends and teachers?

Like I am capable of A Levels but family think I am not cut out for education despite getting the grades and I overdo it and do a lot of work but despite my efforts family think I am stupid and in this day and age with the hard education system they would rather do entry level jobs or go through vocational route and one fail at A Level would mean leave A Levels altogether as it's too hard. My teachers would have kept me on if I decided to carry on but family told me to abandon it because studying makes me ill and I can't balance my life with studies and graduate jobs come with stress. When it went well at first, my family encouraged me to carry on but when I fell ill, they thought overdoing it and studying caused it so they think I am too dumb for A Levels. It wasn't studying that caused me to fall ill, it was mental health. My sister says apprenticeships are there for people who can't study that much and if I stress it means I don't like studying but I do, it's because of mental health that I worried I would fail.
Original post by Anonymous
Like I am capable of A Levels but family think I am not cut out for education despite getting the grades and I overdo it and do a lot of work but despite my efforts family think I am stupid and in this day and age with the hard education system they would rather do entry level jobs or go through vocational route and one fail at A Level would mean leave A Levels altogether as it's too hard. My teachers would have kept me on if I decided to carry on but family told me to abandon it because studying makes me ill and I can't balance my life with studies and graduate jobs come with stress. When it went well at first, my family encouraged me to carry on but when I fell ill, they thought overdoing it and studying caused it so they think I am too dumb for A Levels. It wasn't studying that caused me to fall ill, it was mental health. My sister says apprenticeships are there for people who can't study that much and if I stress it means I don't like studying but I do, it's because of mental health that I worried I would fail.
Honestly do what's best for you. If you want to carry on with your education and do your A-levels then you should as its your life to live. If you are worried about the stress of A-levels then it is best to talk to your teachers who can put things in place to ensure that you are supported throughout your studies. As a year 13 myself, I do understand that A-levels are a lot of work but if you have the drive and ambition to go to uni or have a specific career goal then there is nothing stopping you. If you find that uni isn't for you, you can go on to do a degree apprenticeship after your A-levels that allows you to get a fully paid job whilst also working towards a degree- equivalent qualification. In terms of your family, maybe you could have a meeting with your college/sixth form to allow your parents to speak to your teachers so they can gain an idea of how you will be supported. I would definitely follow your dreams, and if your teachers are telling you that you can achieve then I see no problem with you continuing with your studies. Best of luck!

Quick Reply