The Student Room Group

YR12 Mocks

Hi, have yr12 mocks in 2 weeks. I do Physics, maths and computer science. Currently my physics and maths grades are both on E/D. Haven’t really revised too much beforehand. What should I do in these 2 weeks to try maximise my study time and try get a C/B for both of them.
Hi there! For all of your subjects you should do past paper questions (you can use physics and maths tutor, save my exams and madasmaths (for maths)), but before you do those questions, I would watch some videos for maths on any topics you are unsure of (I recommend TLMaths and Bicen maths on youtube as they follow the specification well). For physics and computer science, I am unsure of any resources on youtube like TLMaths, but I recommend you look up videos on certain topics to make sure you know the content before moving onto questions. Learn content for a topic then do past paper questions until you are confident that you can apply your knowledge well to different contexts in both physics and computer science, and just do past paper questions for maths. You don't have to do 10 hours a day to get a B - try to spend one hour at a time on one subject with plenty of breaks in between so you don't burn out. I would start looking at the content for your subjects either today or tomorrow, and you should also use any study or free time at school and after school to do this.
Original post by HadronCollider
Hi there! For all of your subjects you should do past paper questions (you can use physics and maths tutor, save my exams and madasmaths (for maths)), but before you do those questions, I would watch some videos for maths on any topics you are unsure of (I recommend TLMaths and Bicen maths on youtube as they follow the specification well). For physics and computer science, I am unsure of any resources on youtube like TLMaths, but I recommend you look up videos on certain topics to make sure you know the content before moving onto questions. Learn content for a topic then do past paper questions until you are confident that you can apply your knowledge well to different contexts in both physics and computer science, and just do past paper questions for maths. You don't have to do 10 hours a day to get a B - try to spend one hour at a time on one subject with plenty of breaks in between so you don't burn out. I would start looking at the content for your subjects either today or tomorrow, and you should also use any study or free time at school and after school to do this.

Madasmaths is not helpful now as it's not been updated since the author died.
Original post by Muttley79
Madasmaths is not helpful now as it's not been updated since the author died.

I agree its not as helpful for current questions but I think its really good if you want to practise more challenging questions that are harder than the exam so you can be prepared in any context of the question.
I agree its not as helpful for current questions but I think its really good if you want to practise more challenging questions that are harder than the exam so you can be prepared in any context of the question.

There's better now and I'd don't advise it as a resource for my students. Dr Frost has 'all coverage' questions that ask every possible question.
Original post by Muttley79
There's better now and I'd don't advise it as a resource for my students. Dr Frost has 'all coverage' questions that ask every possible question.

Thats fine for you, but for me I have found that the madasmaths questions really push me to think and understand the exam questions, the Dr Frost questions are still good though.
Thats fine for you, but for me I have found that the madasmaths questions really push me to think and understand the exam questions, the Dr Frost questions are still good though.

I'm sorry to say Madasmaths does not fit the new spec very well at all it's so old now. Are you sure you know which DrF questions I mean?
Reply 7
Original post by Umarwadood07
Hi, have yr12 mocks in 2 weeks. I do Physics, maths and computer science. Currently my physics and maths grades are both on E/D. Haven’t really revised too much beforehand. What should I do in these 2 weeks to try maximise my study time and try get a C/B for both of them.

Similarly to what other people have said, the only way to get good at maths is to practice. Do as many past papers as possible off of pmt.

If there's a question you can't do I like to watch Zeeshan on YouTube or use save my exams (mostly for stats tho I don't like their notes on other stuff) to find out how to do it.

Quick Reply