The Student Room Group
Reply 1
fasterpurple
Are there any organisations that arrange a sort of 'year in industry' in theatre? Specifically stage management.

Thanks! :smile:

you'd probably be best off just writing lots of letters to theatres and companies! or getting some experience now then working your way in from the inside...
Reply 2
Having posted this I just got a job as a Resident Stage Manager! :smile: It's all sorted out now.
fasterpurple
Having posted this I just got a job as a Resident Stage Manager! :smile: It's all sorted out now.

That is great. I would love to get a proper placement/job in a theatre during my gap year but I will probably end up carrying on with the theatre I am at on an unpaid basis..atleast that way I get a variety of experiences anyway!!

Have fun as stage manager!!
Reply 4
It's a mixture of paid and unpaid work because they're a hiring theatre, so I'll have to get another job as well, but I don't mind - it'll be worth it :smile:

I'm so lucky to get this because I wasn't expecting to be on a gap year - everywhere (well, 3 have and 3 haven't replied) rejected me this year (because I have horrendous AS levels) and so I'm reapplying next year.
fasterpurple
It's a mixture of paid and unpaid work because they're a hiring theatre, so I'll have to get another job as well, but I don't mind - it'll be worth it :smile:

I'm so lucky to get this because I wasn't expecting to be on a gap year - everywhere (well, 3 have and 3 haven't replied) rejected me this year (because I have horrendous AS levels) and so I'm reapplying next year.

Well it will be great experience plus so much fun..I love theatre work because even though it is so much hard work the end results are just so rewarding!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Definitely! Because it's hiring not rep I get the opportunity to do more than just SM as well, so it should be a really good learning experience. I'm actually doing one production as ASM under someone who teaches technical drama at a nearby HE college, so I'll learn LOADS :biggrin:

I just can't wait to start now :smile:
Reply 7
just wanted to say congratulations!
Reply 8
Thank you! :smile:

Latest