This discussion is closed.
e-n-i-g-m-a
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
For resistance in parallel, the equivalent resistance is always smaller than the smallest resistance and for resistance in series, the equivalent resistance is always larger than the larger resistance. why is this so ???
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Because of the way you sum resistances. In series R = r1 + r2 + r3, whereas in parallel 1/R = 1/r1 + 1/r2 + 1/r3

Now in the first case the sum of a load of positive numbers is always going to be bigger than the largest one. In the second case the inverse of a sum of positive numbers is always going to be smaller than the largest, and the largest inverse is the smallest resistance.
Ben C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Or to put it another way, if you think of a resistor like a narrow path which the current has to get through, then a series path is long and hard to pass through, whereas with parallel, two paths side by side are easier than one.
r0manticide17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
tis a long worded question. cut out the waffle, get a good revision guide, or read your notes again. Or then again you could get the geniuses on here to do it for you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads