The Student Room Group

please mark this for me igcse English language

How does the writer Benjamin Zephaniah use language and structure to convey his experiences
12 marks
My teacher gave me 9 marks but I think this deserves full marks someone mark this

One way Benjamin Zephaniah uses language and structure to convey his experiences is by using language / word choice to evoke the readers sympathy because “as a child he suffered.” This revealed that growing up with dyslexia was hard for him and it could have impacted him physically, mentally and emotional. His placement of the two words “child” and “suffered” can make the reader feel sympathy for him because naturally humans feel sympathy for suffering and by mentioning “as a child” he suffered it can also cause the reader to feel sorry for him because children should not suffer due to their learning disability. In addition, he also mentions “but learned to turn dyslexia to my advantage” after the negative opening sentence. The word “but” is a conjunction and it can also introduce a change - in this case the change in suffering with dyslexia and then learning how to turn it towards his advantage. In addition, by mentioning “{he} learned to turn dyslexia to turn dyslexia into my advantage” it can leave the reader to ponder: How did Zephaniah turn dyslexia to his advantage? Therefore, his strategic word choice can influence the reader to carry on reading. Contrastingly, he also juxtaposes something completely negative “suffering” and turning “dyslexia to {his advantage} to show that he evolved over time. Additionally, he also provides a sense of hope for dyslexic children, that their life will get better in due course.

Zephaniah also utilises structure throughout the article to convey his experiences is by using chronological order throughout to share his life of growing up with dyslexia with the reader. This is effective because it also enables the reader to understand how dyslexia impacted him both positively and negatively throughout the years. This is evident in the text because he talks about suffering as a child and then goes to mention how he was in borstal. Using chronological order is extremely important because it can show the future generation of dyslexic people that you may initially suffer with having the condition but it can also change your life in a positive way. In addition, utilising chronological order throughout the article shows the reader how he has evolved as a person through being “thrown out of a lot of schools” to “{writing} more poetry…” Contrastingly, by using chronological order it makes him feel more reliable to the reader and it creates a beautiful flow throughout the extract. He also consistently shows how [he] turned dyslexia to [his] advantage and it also make the reader feel proud of him

The writer, Benjamin Zephaniah shows his frustration about having dyslexia through the use of vivid imagery. This is shown when Zephaniah describes dyslexia as ‘words jumping and moving.’ This reveals to the reader that Zephaniah may be constantly overwhelmed about having dyslexia. The use of the words ‘jumping’ and ‘moving’ link dyslexia to typical movements that would be associated with a dance. Due to this, we can infer that his dyslexia also affected the way be performed in school. Contrastingly, this quote links to the theme of the challenges of having learning disabilities in school because we can infer that dyslexia impacted his learning. In contrast, he also mentions how “his poems took off especially with the black community” and he also mentions “how he wrote ‘wid luv’ instead of with love.” He also mentions how people did not know they were dyslexic poems because they may have had stereotypes that dyslexic people can’t be intelligent and they could believe that dyslexic people do not have a place anywhere or literature but this is not the case as he mentions “We are the architects, we are the designer.”

Another way Zephaniah also uses language and structure to convey his experiences with dyslexia is that he conveys dyslexia to something that has an isolating nature. This is demonstrated in the text when it says ‘like being in a foreign country, where you don’t know the language.” This reveals that dyslexia posed Zephaniah with multiple problems throughout his early years and we can infer that he would have felt disconnected from other people because of his learning disability. In addition, the use of the metaphor reflects his daily struggle of having dyslexia in different situations. However, I see his learning disability as ‘learning ability’ because even though he may find it hard to do things, like spell, he is an extremely creative person. I presume that this quote links to communication boundaries. However, if he was in a “foreign country” how did he become a successful poet that influences young children in a positive manner?

Benjamin Zephaniah uses language choice by using metaphors to emphasise how the times have changed course for individuals with dyslexia. This is shown when he mentions ‘the past is a different kind of country.’ This reveals to the reader that people’s attitudes to dyslexia have changed over time and therefore the future generation of dyslexics would have been understood more than people of Zephaniah’s generation. This is evident because he frequently mentions the challenges of having dyslexia growing up by using anecdotes. In addition, the metaphor also provides hope to people with dyslexia in the current time period because a greater understanding of dyslexia has developed. In contrast, some people may say that Zephaniah could be talking about how his writing has evolved over the years as ‘{he wrote more poetry, novels for teenagers....”. Furthermore, this line is the opening line of ‘The Go Between’ and Benjamin Zephaniah uses intersexuality because he uses a line from another important text in literature. The writer of ‘Go Between’ mentions ‘The past is a foreign country and they do things differently there.” I believe the use of this metaphor along with the intertextuality demonstrates how Zephaniah challenged the stereotypes that dyslexic people are uneducated. Additionally, some people may say this is an important reason on how his writing has evolved as he references to texts and he may not have even been able to do this before.
Original post by Hellopeople!
How does the writer Benjamin Zephaniah use language and structure to convey his experiences
12 marks
My teacher gave me 9 marks but I think this deserves full marks someone mark this
One way Benjamin Zephaniah uses language and structure to convey his experiences is by using language / word choice to evoke the readers sympathy because “as a child he suffered.” This revealed that growing up with dyslexia was hard for him and it could have impacted him physically, mentally and emotional. His placement of the two words “child” and “suffered” can make the reader feel sympathy for him because naturally humans feel sympathy for suffering and by mentioning “as a child” he suffered it can also cause the reader to feel sorry for him because children should not suffer due to their learning disability. In addition, he also mentions “but learned to turn dyslexia to my advantage” after the negative opening sentence. The word “but” is a conjunction and it can also introduce a change - in this case the change in suffering with dyslexia and then learning how to turn it towards his advantage. In addition, by mentioning “{he} learned to turn dyslexia to turn dyslexia into my advantage” it can leave the reader to ponder: How did Zephaniah turn dyslexia to his advantage? Therefore, his strategic word choice can influence the reader to carry on reading. Contrastingly, he also juxtaposes something completely negative “suffering” and turning “dyslexia to {his advantage} to show that he evolved over time. Additionally, he also provides a sense of hope for dyslexic children, that their life will get better in due course.
Zephaniah also utilises structure throughout the article to convey his experiences is by using chronological order throughout to share his life of growing up with dyslexia with the reader. This is effective because it also enables the reader to understand how dyslexia impacted him both positively and negatively throughout the years. This is evident in the text because he talks about suffering as a child and then goes to mention how he was in borstal. Using chronological order is extremely important because it can show the future generation of dyslexic people that you may initially suffer with having the condition but it can also change your life in a positive way. In addition, utilising chronological order throughout the article shows the reader how he has evolved as a person through being “thrown out of a lot of schools” to “{writing} more poetry…” Contrastingly, by using chronological order it makes him feel more reliable to the reader and it creates a beautiful flow throughout the extract. He also consistently shows how [he] turned dyslexia to [his] advantage and it also make the reader feel proud of him
The writer, Benjamin Zephaniah shows his frustration about having dyslexia through the use of vivid imagery. This is shown when Zephaniah describes dyslexia as ‘words jumping and moving.’ This reveals to the reader that Zephaniah may be constantly overwhelmed about having dyslexia. The use of the words ‘jumping’ and ‘moving’ link dyslexia to typical movements that would be associated with a dance. Due to this, we can infer that his dyslexia also affected the way be performed in school. Contrastingly, this quote links to the theme of the challenges of having learning disabilities in school because we can infer that dyslexia impacted his learning. In contrast, he also mentions how “his poems took off especially with the black community” and he also mentions “how he wrote ‘wid luv’ instead of with love.” He also mentions how people did not know they were dyslexic poems because they may have had stereotypes that dyslexic people can’t be intelligent and they could believe that dyslexic people do not have a place anywhere or literature but this is not the case as he mentions “We are the architects, we are the designer.”
Another way Zephaniah also uses language and structure to convey his experiences with dyslexia is that he conveys dyslexia to something that has an isolating nature. This is demonstrated in the text when it says ‘like being in a foreign country, where you don’t know the language.” This reveals that dyslexia posed Zephaniah with multiple problems throughout his early years and we can infer that he would have felt disconnected from other people because of his learning disability. In addition, the use of the metaphor reflects his daily struggle of having dyslexia in different situations. However, I see his learning disability as ‘learning ability’ because even though he may find it hard to do things, like spell, he is an extremely creative person. I presume that this quote links to communication boundaries. However, if he was in a “foreign country” how did he become a successful poet that influences young children in a positive manner?
Benjamin Zephaniah uses language choice by using metaphors to emphasise how the times have changed course for individuals with dyslexia. This is shown when he mentions ‘the past is a different kind of country.’ This reveals to the reader that people’s attitudes to dyslexia have changed over time and therefore the future generation of dyslexics would have been understood more than people of Zephaniah’s generation. This is evident because he frequently mentions the challenges of having dyslexia growing up by using anecdotes. In addition, the metaphor also provides hope to people with dyslexia in the current time period because a greater understanding of dyslexia has developed. In contrast, some people may say that Zephaniah could be talking about how his writing has evolved over the years as ‘{he wrote more poetry, novels for teenagers....”. Furthermore, this line is the opening line of ‘The Go Between’ and Benjamin Zephaniah uses intersexuality because he uses a line from another important text in literature. The writer of ‘Go Between’ mentions ‘The past is a foreign country and they do things differently there.” I believe the use of this metaphor along with the intertextuality demonstrates how Zephaniah challenged the stereotypes that dyslexic people are uneducated. Additionally, some people may say this is an important reason on how his writing has evolved as he references to texts and he may not have even been able to do this before.

You're probably looking at 11/12 or 12/12. Do check the mark scheme though and ask your teacher why you only got 9/12.

Quick Reply