The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Second Offence of Academic Misconduct

Hi,

I’ve been busted for collusion at the University of Leeds. I have had a first offence in year 1 and now I’m in year 2. I’ve read the university’s procedure again and again and they keep saying the normal penalty for second offences is permanent expulsion from the university. What should I do? I have a meeting coming up and idk if I should deny or admit to it. The evidence they have is that I was on the same questions as the other student however my answers are a bit different and in total I got a higher score. I took a longer time too. Please anyone who’s gone to Uni of a Leeds and gone through through something similar give me advice. Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I’ve been busted for collusion at the University of Leeds. I have had a first offence in year 1 and now I’m in year 2. I’ve read the university’s procedure again and again and they keep saying the normal penalty for second offences is permanent expulsion from the university. What should I do? I have a meeting coming up and idk if I should deny or admit to it. The evidence they have is that I was on the same questions as the other student however my answers are a bit different and in total I got a higher score. I took a longer time too. Please anyone who’s gone to Uni of a Leeds and gone through through something similar give me advice. Thank you

Honesty is the best policy. Even if it leads to your expulsion. If you lie and are found out (which is a very likely scenario in academic misconduct investigations), you will be in a much uglier position. Your Student Union might be able to provide you with some extra assistance too, if you wish.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Honesty is the best policy. Even if it leads to your expulsion. If you lie and are found out (which is a very likely scenario in academic misconduct investigations), you will be in a much uglier position. Your Student Union might be able to provide you with some extra assistance too, if you wish.

My universities policy is very harsh though. Second offences lead to exclusion. I don’t really know what to do.
I think the likelihood of you denying it, and them accepting it without evidence is very low.

I would speak to your Students Union ASAP.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I think the likelihood of you denying it, and them accepting it without evidence is very low.
I would speak to your Students Union ASAP.

I’ve spoken to the student union they just keep giving advice on what the investigative meeting is going to be like. The evidence they’ve given to us shows that we both started the exam at the same exact time, same seconds. Despite the system randomising the questions I went to the same questions as she did around the same time. However for her, she answered the questions in the order that they came in. I did however take a longer time answering her, I went back to change some answers too. During the exam even though a lot of answers were the same, some of them did differ to hers. And at the end I went back to change them. Do you think this is sufficient evidence for them? Oh and I also took a similar amount of time on the questions as she did.
I’ve spoken to the student union they just keep giving advice on what the investigative meeting is going to be like. The evidence they’ve given to us shows that we both started the exam at the same exact time, same seconds. Despite the system randomising the questions I went to the same questions as she did around the same time. However for her, she answered the questions in the order that they came in. I did however take a longer time answering her, I went back to change some answers too. During the exam even though a lot of answers were the same, some of them did differ to hers. And at the end I went back to change them. Do you think this is sufficient evidence for them? Oh and I also took a similar amount of time on the questions as she did.
What explanation can you give for answering questions in the same order as your classmate? Complete chance?

NB. As you did collude in some manner, you need to consider that your buddy will disclose everything to save their own skin, (quite rightly too).
Reply 6
The universities policy is that second offences lead to exclusion in nearly all cases. So they definitely aren’t gonna admit to it to save skin.
Reply 7
What explanation can you give for answering questions in the same order as your classmate? Complete chance?
NB. As you did collude in some manner, you need to consider that your buddy will disclose everything to save their own skin, (quite rightly too).
Is that a good answer though? I want to say it’s complete coincidence and that I went to the questions I found hardest first then to the easiest.
Exclusions aren't my area of expertise, but I have got involved in mediation before and its possibly similar - I assume it will boil down evidence presented, what evidence is accepted and how that evidence is interpreted.

My guess is the Uni will have IP address, actions, time stamps etc - they will also presumably had some sort of software running to detect anomalous behaviour. What evidence have the Uni already presented to you?

Given how hard I have to argue for sanctions when I think a student has cheated with written work, I know Unis don't do this sort of thing lightly - so they should have very clear evidence. If you genuinely did nothing wrong then you have a tougher situation, because you cant easily "prove" you didn't do something. Witnesses might be an option? If you genuinely did mess up then its probably time to learn from this and move on.

Given the Student Union must have supported folks in the past before, I would be asking for help again, this time to speak to someone who has actually been through this process with another student
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ChiefBrody
Exclusions aren't my area of expertise, but I have got involved in mediation before and its possibly similar - I assume it will boil down evidence presented, what evidence is accepted and how that evidence is interpreted.
My guess is the Uni will have IP address, actions, time stamps etc - they will also presumably had some sort of software running to detect anomalous behaviour. What evidence have the Uni already presented to you?
Given how hard I have to argue for sanctions when I think a student has cheated with written work, I know Unis don't do this sort of thing lightly - so they should have very clear evidence. If you genuinely did nothing wrong then you have a tougher situation, because you cant easily "prove" you didn't do something. Witnesses might be an option? If you genuinely did mess up then its probably time to learn from this and move one.
Given the Student Union must have supported folks in the past before, I would be asking for help again, this time to speak to someone who has actually been through this process with another student
They’ve just shown the time stamps, duration etc. is this enough to make them think I’ve colluded?
The universities policy is that second offences lead to exclusion in nearly all cases. So they definitely aren’t gonna admit to it to save skin.

You’ve both colluded for a second time?!
You’ve both colluded for a second time?!

Yes
Well in that case bearing in mind that the uni has enough evidence to commence a formal investigation, I’d have to say the chances of them giving both of you the benefit of the doubt is very small.

I’m incredulous that you both thought to give it another go after getting caught red handed the first time.
Well in that case bearing in mind that the uni has enough evidence to commence a formal investigation, I’d have to say the chances of them giving both of you the benefit of the doubt is very small.
I’m incredulous that you both thought to give it another go after getting caught red handed the first time.

I had no intent in colluding with the other student. The day before I had told her multiple times I don’t want to cheat. We happen to live together and she came into my room to ask where the exam was on the website. I showed her and waited for her to leave but she didn’t so I just thought she won’t listen to me and thought if I change my answers I’d be fine and that’s how it happened. I don’t know what to do because my university takes second offences very seriously and the default penalty is exclusion
I had no intent in colluding with the other student. The day before I had told her multiple times I don’t want to cheat. We happen to live together and she came into my room to ask where the exam was on the website. I showed her and waited for her to leave but she didn’t so I just thought she won’t listen to me and thought if I change my answers I’d be fine and that’s how it happened. I don’t know what to do because my university takes second offences very seriously and the default penalty is exclusion

Given your prior warning for collusion I think that’s a poor excuse and the uni will probably think likewise.

I can’t really advise any further. You did collude and I wouldn’t encourage you to lie at the hearing.
Hi,

Any updates? Facing a similar situation

Quick Reply