The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

I was thinking about taking a gap year after S6 as school life is burning me out right now, but I don't know if this will be a decision I will grow to cherish, or regret. A gap year would allow me to travel, figure out what I want to do at uni and it means I can begin uni when I'm 18, instead of being 17 in my first year. Although, this would mean I would be 17 ON my gap year, which might be 'too young' to travel and explore alone??

However, I have three main worries about starting uni after a gap year:
1. Because I'm not taking any AH in S6-the workload will be too much
2. I would end up never attending uni and staying on a 'gap year' for years to come
3. I would be a year older than everyone else in my year

Any help would be appreciated!
a few points

being one year older is largely irrelevant. its one year. i lived with a couple of people who did a gap/gift year and didn't even find out for months

if you start a gap year and end up doing three, it's only a problem if you can't support yourself. if you're enjoying living and working that way, you have found something worth doing surely
Original post by cartwheelrunner
I was thinking about taking a gap year after S6 as school life is burning me out right now, but I don't know if this will be a decision I will grow to cherish, or regret. A gap year would allow me to travel, figure out what I want to do at uni and it means I can begin uni when I'm 18, instead of being 17 in my first year. Although, this would mean I would be 17 ON my gap year, which might be 'too young' to travel and explore alone??

However, I have three main worries about starting uni after a gap year:
1. Because I'm not taking any AH in S6-the workload will be too much
2. I would end up never attending uni and staying on a 'gap year' for years to come
3. I would be a year older than everyone else in my year

Any help would be appreciated!

You can travel around while 17, at least within the UK without any major issues. It's a huge, varied country with lots of history and things to see, so while I get that maybe you'd prefer international travel, you can definitely get busy by just travelling around the UK.

1. You might have some difficulty adapting from your gap year to studying again but nothing major as long as you're motivated.

2. Yep, that's a possibility but it really boils down to what you decide to do with your life. Nobody accidentally goes on several gap years because they forgot to go to uni, it's because they make the conscious decision not to, maybe because they change their minds or because they realise they don't know what they want to do. And that's perfectly fine and there's no shame in that.

3. Nobody will notice nor care about this at uni. I'm a couple of years older than most people in my course, there's also another guy who's got an extra three years on me - nobody has ever noticed nor cared when they've found this out :smile:

Quick Reply