The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE Grades hinder my Medical school application?

My gcse grades are
bio - 8
chem - 8
physics - 8
maths - 8
computing - 9
language - 8
literature - 7
business - 8
geography - 7

will this be a problem when applying to med school or will my a levels mostly carry?
Those gcses are very good and works in the leanway medical schools want - 7-9s
your alevels will matter a lot too but it acts as a messure to academic commitment
why does eveyone want to go to med school on this website???
Original post by miffy122233
why does eveyone want to go to med school on this website???

I dont want to - infact i am going do film studies and production but my boyfriend is doing medcine soon at oxford so I do have some understanding. So not everyone
Hey thanks everyone for the replies, they make me feel a lot better but i also wonder whether the fact that i am going to a grammar school will affect this. my grammar school is ranked about 100th of all grammar schools in the country.
Original post by skhdgihgfdhf
Hey thanks everyone for the replies, they make me feel a lot better but i also wonder whether the fact that i am going to a grammar school will affect this. my grammar school is ranked about 100th of all grammar schools in the country.

i go to a grammar school, but i dont think this will affect your chances of getting into a med school.
Original post by flawless papaya
i go to a grammar school, but i dont think this will affect your chances of getting into a med school.

Surely the grades are contextualized right?
i know people from my grammar school who got all 9s and good grades at A-levels but didnt get into any med school. but this may be because they only applied to london unis and oxbridge. they may hv aimed too high.

however, i still don't think going to a grammar school gives you an advantage over other applicants. there may be a smal margin of consideration, but not very significant

Hi, i go to a grammar school in top 100 as well, i think it depends on how well your school does generally in terms of grades. Personally i do not think going to a grammar school and getting 7/8 is going to put you at any disadvantage as grammar schools are still considered state schools, however if you got those grades in a prestigous private school then thats another discussion.
My gcse grades are
bio - 8
chem - 8
physics - 8
maths - 8
computing - 9
language - 8
literature - 7
business - 8
geography - 7

will this be a problem when applying to med school or will my a levels mostly carry?

It depends on which medical school you apply to. Don't assume all medical schools assess applicants in the same way, as they don't.

Some medical schools (e.g. UCL, Imperial) don't score GCSEs at all and just have minimum GCSE requirements (usually for English language/maths). Others score GCSEs heavily as part of the shortlisting process (e.g. Cardiff, Oxford). There are numerous other shortlisting methodologies with different weightings for GCSEs by different medical schools between those two extremes as well.

You need to actually look at the shortlisting methodology of the medical schools you want to apply to and tactically apply to the ones you maximise your points in the shortlisting process for.

Quick Reply