The Student Room Group

GCSE

Can I get into dentistry at kings college London with gcse grades 888888888777 even though most people at my school get at least 5 9s or more ?
Original post by Jasmine6789
Can I get into dentistry at kings college London with gcse grades 888888888777 even though most people at my school get at least 5 9s or more ?
Hiya! I don't know if I'll be much help, but for most universities gcses aren't a huge contributing factor. From my experience applying to uni, if you have at least a 5 (in some cases it can be higher, but I think the highest I've seen has been a 6/7) in English and maths, then there's no reason they wouldn't accept you, based on your gcses. A levels are far more important, so i would check what the grade requirements are for that uni.

Also, don't panic about what people around you have gotten. You should focus on where you are at now, and where you want to be in the future.

Another thing is, if you're absolutely certain you want to do dentistry at that particular uni, then brilliant but make sure you take into consideration other unis, and that you do your research in advance to make sure it is definitely where you want to study. Attend open days and look at reviews online from other students who do dentistry.

(side note, I know nothing about dentistry, but I know that for most university courses, they're not going to ask for 9s)

Hope that's helped! Good luck on your future endeavours!
Reply 2

Remember that your grades and even your uni are not the be all and end all - just make sure you are enjoying what you're doing and that you're doing your best.

GCSE grades aren't as important as your predicted A-Level grades, so try to be pushing for As and A*s across the board in those.

You might not have 9s (which obviously don't hurt to have), but your GCSE grades are really solid, definitely good enough - they will care much more about A Levels and seeing that you are passionate and interested enough to do that degree. Dentistry is hard, and showing you have what it takes is about more than just GCSEs.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be a great applicant!
Original post by lkempo

Remember that your grades and even your uni are not the be all and end all - just make sure you are enjoying what you're doing and that you're doing your best.

GCSE grades aren't as important as your predicted A-Level grades, so try to be pushing for As and A*s across the board in those.

You might not have 9s (which obviously don't hurt to have), but your GCSE grades are really solid, definitely good enough - they will care much more about A Levels and seeing that you are passionate and interested enough to do that degree. Dentistry is hard, and showing you have what it takes is about more than just GCSEs.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be a great applicant!

Hi ty this has comforted me a lot. Those are the grades I think I will get as I’ve almost finished exams currently, I might be underestimating myself. But now even if I do get those grades I won’t worry.
Original post by Jasmine6789

Hi, I can actually offer some insight into the dentistry side of things here. KCL do not differentiate between an 8 and a 9. I would say you need a minimum number of 8 grade 8s to make a competitive application, since KCL and most unis do value GCSE’s strongly (for GCSE’s), but they do NOT differentiate between and 8 and a 9 whatsoever so your grades would set you up nicely. There are only two uni’s that differentiate between an 8 and a 9 for dentistry to my knowledge, one of them being Belfast.

I repeat, if you can achieve 88888888, in terms of GCSE’s you are as competitive as someone who achieved 99999999. So please do not stress :smile:

Quick Reply