The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Missed open university exam and not allowed to resit

I stupidly wrote down the wrong date and missed the final exam. It’s a 60 credit module and they will not allow me to take the resit.
As a part time student this means that I will have to study another full year and pay another £3600.
This seems disproportionately harsh for an error on the date.
The module is 80% exam
I have already passed 180 credits and am fully committed to finishing this degree but the extra cost and time resulting from this mistake might make it impossible.
I chose the OU because I thought they would be more understanding of the challenges of part time study but they seem harsher than other unis.
Any advice?
Original post by Ewood66
I stupidly wrote down the wrong date and missed the final exam. It’s a 60 credit module and they will not allow me to take the resit.
As a part time student this means that I will have to study another full year and pay another £3600.
This seems disproportionately harsh for an error on the date.
The module is 80% exam
I have already passed 180 credits and am fully committed to finishing this degree but the extra cost and time resulting from this mistake might make it impossible.
I chose the OU because I thought they would be more understanding of the challenges of part time study but they seem harsher than other unis.
Any advice?

The module exam you missed might have had a threshold requirement (usually 30%) to allow for a resit. If you were level 1 this would've been a good lesson but the fact you already have 180 credits tells me you're level 2 and they expect you to be more aware at that stage.

I'm really sorry you missed the exam but this is just going to have to be one of those "lesson learnt" situations as you don't have grounds for resit. In a way this is better for your degree classification as resits are capped at 40%. A brick uni may have allowed you to resit but it probably would be a capped resit too.

The OU is more understanding of the challenges of it's students but forgetting an exam date because you wrote it down wrong doesn't fall under that. The next course of action would be to ddcide if paying the addition tuition to redo the module is worth it. Are you self-funding or using student loan?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply