The Student Room Group

Alevel psychology

I picked psychology bc I had no clue what else to pick (which probably isn’t the best idea I’m aware). I’ve didn’t do it at GCSEs so am I at a disadvantage? I’ve heard it’s a lot of content and have been discouraged by others and idk whether I should drop It or not. So many people say it’s content heavy and hard do well in so now I’m kind of scared. Idk if I regret picking it. Anyone doing alevel psych rn, pls help.
(edited 1 month ago)
many people do say that psychology is very content heavy
Original post by handsome-gypsy
many people do say that psychology is very content heavy

what about biology?
Reply 3
Original post by Staphy
I picked psychology bc I had no clue what else to pick (which probably isn’t the best idea I’m aware). I’ve didn’t do it at GCSEs so am I at a disadvantage? I’ve heard it’s a lot of content and have been discouraged by others and idk whether I should drop It or not. So many people say it’s content heavy and hard do well in so now I’m kind of scared. Idk if I regret picking it. Anyone doing alevel psych rn, pls help.

i did psychology for A-Levels all i needed to revise was revision booklets made by my teacher and past papers, content heavy but manageable
Reply 4
Original post by handsome-gypsy
what about biology?

I picked that as well. Am I screwed?
Reply 5
Original post by Staphy

psychology wasn’t a gcse for anyone to pick in all the schools near me so it’s a new subject for us all but it’s just really about memorising. Everything is quite straight forward it’s just a lot to remember so if u have a good memory u should be fine
Reply 6
Original post by Staphy
I picked that as well. Am I screwed?

biology can be really difficult it’s also a lot of content compared to other sciences even though it’s thought to be the easiest science. The main thing is the mark scheme it’s very strict and specific but if you do lotsssss of past papers and study the mark scheme it should be okay. it will take a while to adjust tho! just make sure to stay on top of it as there is so much content !
I have just done gcse psychology and am doing it for a level too.

It will be very content heavy (so was gcse) but with organised revision from the start (I wish I did that for gcse) I’m sure it will be manageable. Like someone else said, what you actually learn isn’t too difficult, you just have a lot to remember. I suggest making flash cards for each lesson. I am also nervous but it is so interesting so if you enjoy the subject it will make it a lot easier.

In terms of being at a disadvantage, I don’t think you will be that much. Most schools don’t even offer it at gcse. I was the first year to do it at my school and local schools don’t do it. I feel like I will have some of the basics down but I will still have to learn most of the content like you will.

Try your best and I’m sure it will be great xx

Quick Reply