The Student Room Group

Is this LSE course a business course or an econ course????

Just asking… I have an offer to study here on the Bsc Management course, after getting rejected from E&M Oxford. Do you think this course is an Economics related course, or more of a business management related course. There are some relevant econ modules such as Micro I and Macro I and Econometrics, but I’m just wondering about the entire course in general. I know business management courses are looked down upon by most people, so I hope this course isn’t considered as one. Do you think I should reapply for a pure Econ course next year with grades in hand at like Cambridge, Durham, Warwick or maybe LSE again, or stick with this course. For reference I do Maths, FM, Physics and Econ at A Level.
Original post by apd25
Just asking… I have an offer to study here on the Bsc Management course, after getting rejected from E&M Oxford. Do you think this course is an Economics related course, or more of a business management related course. There are some relevant econ modules such as Micro I and Macro I and Econometrics, but I’m just wondering about the entire course in general. I know business management courses are looked down upon by most people, so I hope this course isn’t considered as one. Do you think I should reapply for a pure Econ course next year with grades in hand at like Cambridge, Durham, Warwick or maybe LSE again, or stick with this course. For reference I do Maths, FM, Physics and Econ at A Level.
It's a business management course rather than an economics-related course. But that's by no means a bad thing.

Depending on what sort of jobs you think you might want to go into after graduating, most high finance and consulting roles don't really care what subject you study, let alone about the distinction between econ and management. I worked in IB M&A with people who had history degrees, music degrees, etc. Generally firms care more about the university you go to (LSE is great in this regard) and how you perform the firm's tests/assessments rather than the subject.

I would say this course is probably less well suited to some specific areas like trading and quantitative roles more generally, here banks usually favour STEM grads for these grad positions.

Whether you should reapply to straight econ with achieved grades isn't really something we can answer, that's up to you. This course at LSE is absolutely fine for the vast majority of desirable IB roles.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by apd25

Hello,

If you don't mind, I would be curious to know where else / which courses, you applied to, as both Oxford EM and LSE BSc Mgt are on my future list. I am struggling a bit to fit in the same PS for Econ, Finance and Management...
Am working on a list (across all levels of aspirationn...) that includes Bath BSc Economics, Durham BA EM or BSc Finance or BA Economics, KCL EM, Cass Finance. Obviously, in due course I would have to bring it down to 5.
Thoughts welcome!
Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Torrades
Hello,
If you don't mind, I would be curious to know where else / which courses, you applied to, as both Oxford EM and LSE BSc Mgt are on my future list. I am struggling a bit to fit in the same PS for Econ, Finance and Management...
Am working on a list (across all levels of aspirationn...) that includes Bath BSc Economics, Durham BA EM or BSc Finance or BA Economics, KCL EM, Cass Finance. Obviously, in due course I would have to bring it down to 5.
Thoughts welcome!
Thanks.

I applied to Oxford, LSE, Durham, Bristol and Leeds… My PS was mostly economics based with only one paragraph dedicated to how economics can be applied to management.

Quick Reply