The Student Room Group

I feel so odd for not having a boyfriend

I started a new job a few weeks ago, its a waitressing job and stuff. I was serving a table and taking their order it was an older couple . The older lady asked if if i have a boyfriend and said to not be with someone stupid . I said that i dont and ive never had a serious bf and she gave me the weirdest look . I felt like a freak and she was wondering why. I just politely said i havent found someone and fake laughed but i just felt so sad .

I mean most people at my job have a partner . Im 20 next month and i dont have a bf or even a guy im speaking too. I dont even have proper friends at the moment and i spend most time alone outside work. I was very depressed last year and its just like a domino effect . Ive isolated myself so much.

I dont know if im actually that attractive or not or if i get prettier itll be easier and someone will want me . Im scared to be alone and never have experience or a bf. I never have anything to talk about . I mean if ppl ask if i have a bf or something i always say no because its true , i want to be able to say yes for once.

Someone at work saw me texting as i was leaving work and said an i texting my bf . No lol . I wish i was . I wish i wasnt always the one without someone . Idk what to do anymore
Hope you find one soon!!!🤗🤗
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I started a new job a few weeks ago, its a waitressing job and stuff. I was serving a table and taking their order it was an older couple . The older lady asked if if i have a boyfriend and said to not be with someone stupid . I said that i dont and ive never had a serious bf and she gave me the weirdest look . I felt like a freak and she was wondering why. I just politely said i havent found someone and fake laughed but i just felt so sad .
I mean most people at my job have a partner . Im 20 next month and i dont have a bf or even a guy im speaking too. I dont even have proper friends at the moment and i spend most time alone outside work. I was very depressed last year and its just like a domino effect . Ive isolated myself so much.
I dont know if im actually that attractive or not or if i get prettier itll be easier and someone will want me . Im scared to be alone and never have experience or a bf. I never have anything to talk about . I mean if ppl ask if i have a bf or something i always say no because its true , i want to be able to say yes for once.
Someone at work saw me texting as i was leaving work and said an i texting my bf . No lol . I wish i was . I wish i wasnt always the one without someone . Idk what to do anymore
The good thing about you is you're not pushing yourself too much. Calm down, take your time and interact with more people. You'll hopefully find the right person for you. 🤞
What? That is so rude of her to ask! have been asked that by a stranger and I just stared them out and said no. It's honestly not odd or weird! I'm sorry that you feel lonely though - just remember 20 is still pretty young and it's better to meet someone a bit later on than meeting someone now who will not stick around and just make you miserable.
Kind of a bit weird to ask someone that and be so rude and forward also you are very young don’t stress

Not sure what it is about older people but they do sometimes seem to be a bit more forthright in asking these kinds of questions (though in this instance they did also give you good advice). I appreciate you have to be friendly to customers but you shouldn't have to answer quite personal questions such as your relationship status if you don't want to. It's also not particularly unusual these days - and hasn't been for quite a while - to not be in a relationship at 19/20. But at the same time, it's perfectly normal to want one at that age too.

You also seem to be quite lonely. Could you possibly try and make new friends, and might you need some kind of professional help to deal with depression?

Girll I totally get how annoying it is when folks bug you about being single. But being in a relationship doesn't define you! It's all about loving yourself and growing as a person. Take your time, do you, and the right person will come along when it's meant to happen and honestly it’s completely normal to be single at whatever age, everyone moves at their own pace, don’t let it get to you!! Wishing you the best🩷
I'm 20 (male) and understand exactly what you're talking about. I get it a lot from older people, asking if I have a girlfriend, especially older family members.

I have a few friends, but they're all really "Uni friends", people I hang out with in lectures, I even live with my parents so I don't have roommates. So summer is really quite lonely and isolating. Making friends too is hard, especially considering my social anxiety. Putting my self out there is difficult, and it's hard to keep doing it when I keep having no success.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, I know what it feels like. I know its hard, and honestly quite depressing. But, don't give up. Look for friendships in different places, get involved with things in your local area and see who you may meet, especially if you're doing things that interest you, you'll find friends, or even a partner, that you really click with.

I say this as much to myself as it is to you, but keep going, better days are ahead. You'll find your people.
I'm 20 (male) and understand exactly what you're talking about. I get it a lot from older people, asking if I have a girlfriend, especially older family members.
I have a few friends, but they're all really "Uni friends", people I hang out with in lectures, I even live with my parents so I don't have roommates. So summer is really quite lonely and isolating. Making friends too is hard, especially considering my social anxiety. Putting my self out there is difficult, and it's hard to keep doing it when I keep having no success.
I guess all I'm trying to say is, I know what it feels like. I know its hard, and honestly quite depressing. But, don't give up. Look for friendships in different places, get involved with things in your local area and see who you may meet, especially if you're doing things that interest you, you'll find friends, or even a partner, that you really click with.
I say this as much to myself as it is to you, but keep going, better days are ahead. You'll find your people.
Fr bro got this right on dot i feel you two to but I hate being single but some how I can deal with it!!🤗

you shouldnt stress too much about it, some older folks are way too interested in the personal lives of younger people. they need to understand its your business and they shouldnt really judge the personal lives of someone theyve seen for the first time. besides, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! you'll definitely find someone one day, and everyone goes about it at their own pace.
"Poor me, pour me another drink 'Cause I don't wanna feel a thing No more, hell nah I just wanna sip 'til the pain wears off Poor me, pour me another round Line 'em up and knock 'em down Two more let's go 'Cause I ain't never hurt like this before
Don't wanna think about her Or wear a ring without her Don't wanna hit the karaoke bar Can't sing without her So make them drinks strong 'Cause brother she's gone And if I'm ever gonna move on
I'ma need some whiskey glasses 'Cause I don't wanna see the truth She's probably making out on the couch right now With someone new Yeah, I'ma need some whiskey glasses If I'm gonna make it through If I'ma be single I'ma need a double shot of that heartbreak proof And see the world through whiskey glasses (Ain't nothing else to do, but sip around the truth) And see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you)
Last call I swear this will be my last call Now I ain't drunk dialling no more at 3 am "Mr bartender hittin' me again"
Don't wanna think about her Or wear a ring without her Don't wanna hit the karaoke bar Can't sing without her So make them drinks strong 'Cause brother she's gone And if I'm ever gonna move on
I'ma need some whiskey glasses 'Cause I don't wanna see the truth She's probably making out on the couch right now With someone new Yeah, I'ma need some whiskey glasses If I'm gonna make it through If I'ma be single I'ma need a double shot of that heartbreak proof And see the world through whiskey glasses (Ain't nothing else to do, but sip around the truth) Oh, see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you)
Line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up Knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back Fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up 'Cause if she ain't ever coming back Line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up Knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back Fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up 'Cause if she ain't ever coming back
I'ma need some whiskey glasses 'Cause I don't wanna see the truth She's probably making out on the couch right now With someone new Yeah, I'ma need some whiskey glasses If I'm gonna make it through If I'ma be single I'ma need a double shot of that heartbreak proof And see the world through whiskey glasses (Ain't nothing else to do, but sip around the truth) Oh, see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you) Yeah
And see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you) Yeah" This song goes so good with this
Original post by Braydon56
"Poor me, pour me another drink 'Cause I don't wanna feel a thing No more, hell nah I just wanna sip 'til the pain wears off Poor me, pour me another round Line 'em up and knock 'em down Two more let's go 'Cause I ain't never hurt like this before
I'ma need some whiskey glasses 'Cause I don't wanna see the truth She's probably making out on the couch right now With someone new Yeah, I'ma need some whiskey glasses If I'm gonna make it through If I'ma be single I'ma need a double shot of that heartbreak proof And see the world through whiskey glasses (Ain't nothing else to do, but sip around the truth) And see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you)
Last call I swear this will be my last call Now I ain't drunk dialling no more at 3 am "Mr bartender hittin' me again"
I'ma need some whiskey glasses 'Cause I don't wanna see the truth She's probably making out on the couch right now With someone new Yeah, I'ma need some whiskey glasses If I'm gonna make it through If I'ma be single I'ma need a double shot of that heartbreak proof And see the world through whiskey glasses (Ain't nothing else to do, but sip around the truth) Oh, see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you)
Line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up Knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back Fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up 'Cause if she ain't ever coming back Line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up, line 'em up Knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back, knock 'em back Fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up, fill 'em up 'Cause if she ain't ever coming back
I'ma need some whiskey glasses 'Cause I don't wanna see the truth She's probably making out on the couch right now With someone new Yeah, I'ma need some whiskey glasses If I'm gonna make it through If I'ma be single I'ma need a double shot of that heartbreak proof And see the world through whiskey glasses (Ain't nothing else to do, but sip around the truth) Oh, see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you) Yeah
And see the world through whiskey glasses (I need a better view, where I don't drink to you) Yeah" This song goes so good with this

Grow up.
I feel the same way.
Grow up.
............. It's just a song Lmao
Same as me
i’m 20
At my last server job on my break i was texting and they asked me the same thing & of the people i worked with had a bf.
I start uni this yr and hope to make new friends meet new people.
We can be friends also if you like <3

Quick Reply