The Student Room Group

A-level resits - dentistry

Mid way through my a-levels, I've just sat maths paper 2 today and I did atrociously bad in both papers that I feel as though an A is unachievable even if I achieve 100% in paper 2 with the 2023 grade boundaries. My goal was to make up my marks in this paper for the marks lost in paper one, but my calculations were just not working. I felt like the questions were doable but the paper was extremely time pressured and I am sure I missed out 45 marks. I predict that I have got around 40% in paper one and two.

My plan was to apply to dentistry with achieved grades of AAA/A*AA including qmul as I believe I may get an interview due to contextual factors. However, qmul does not accept resits so now I'm feeling a bit gutted as I did get 4/4 rejections this year, mainly due to a low UCAT score. I didn't apply to qmul as I had AAA predicted and I did not know I could have still applied. Therefore I was planning to apply next year knowing qmul would have given me a high chance to get an offer.

I can still apply to mcr (BBB needed), kcl, bristol, sheffield and plymouth (AAB needed) if I reapply. However, im not even sure if i can achieve a B in maths.

Does anybody have any experience with resitting as a dental/med student etc? Any advice is appreciated.
Have you done ur resits?
Original post by Jgrg26
Mid way through my a-levels, I've just sat maths paper 2 today and I did atrociously bad in both papers that I feel as though an A is unachievable even if I achieve 100% in paper 2 with the 2023 grade boundaries. My goal was to make up my marks in this paper for the marks lost in paper one, but my calculations were just not working. I felt like the questions were doable but the paper was extremely time pressured and I am sure I missed out 45 marks. I predict that I have got around 40% in paper one and two.
My plan was to apply to dentistry with achieved grades of AAA/A*AA including qmul as I believe I may get an interview due to contextual factors. However, qmul does not accept resits so now I'm feeling a bit gutted as I did get 4/4 rejections this year, mainly due to a low UCAT score. I didn't apply to qmul as I had AAA predicted and I did not know I could have still applied. Therefore I was planning to apply next year knowing qmul would have given me a high chance to get an offer.
I can still apply to mcr (BBB needed), kcl, bristol, sheffield and plymouth (AAB needed) if I reapply. However, im not even sure if i can achieve a B in maths.
Does anybody have any experience with resitting as a dental/med student etc? Any advice is appreciated.
I have all the eBooks for Pearson Edexcel A-Level Maths, and the model answers are absolutely advantageous in learning from. I can send you them if you send me a PM.

You should be able to get an A grade then hopefully in Maths too.
Reply 3
Original post by Be_alone
Have you done ur resits?

No, I have just sat my A-levels
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by Jgrg26

Dont QMUL accept gcse and a level resits? Or do they just accept gcse. Id say dont stress to much now - nothing u can do atm, wait for results day bc who knows you might have done better than you thought. If u dont recieve a B in maths you could resit and apply to kcl, bristol ect next year. For med i believe there are foundation years, not too sure for dent as i havent researched about that.
Also what was your 'low' ucat score that lead to 4 rejections?
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply