The Student Room Group

should i do RS (WJEC) or Sociology (AQA) A-level

I really want to do law at uni and my two other a levels are: English Literature and Law.

I am hoping to get into top unis and i am torn between RS and sociology for my a levels. I have never done either before at GCSE level but i initially put down philosophy/RS on my college application and now i’m second guessing myself as i was told RS was philosophy and upon further research im finding it isn’t.

does anyone know if unis look at an RS a level and know it’s philosophy or should i just go with sociology??

Furthermore, is sociology respected? I am worried about the fact it is seen as an ‘easier’ a level but it still seems really interesting.

On the other hand, RS worries me as i am not extremely religious and into discussing religion but i do enjoy philosophical discussion and ethical debate…

Please if anyone could help that would be amazing!! thank you in advance!!
Original post by Han.oth
I really want to do law at uni and my two other a levels are: English Literature and Law.
I am hoping to get into top unis and i am torn between RS and sociology for my a levels. I have never done either before at GCSE level but i initially put down philosophy/RS on my college application and now i’m second guessing myself as i was told RS was philosophy and upon further research im finding it isn’t.
does anyone know if unis look at an RS a level and know it’s philosophy or should i just go with sociology??
Furthermore, is sociology respected? I am worried about the fact it is seen as an ‘easier’ a level but it still seems really interesting.
On the other hand, RS worries me as i am not extremely religious and into discussing religion but i do enjoy philosophical discussion and ethical debate…

i say go with sociology, it goes better with law and if your school does aqa there would be a lot more study resources than wjec
tbh sociology is still respected as an a-level so i think it's fine as long as you find it interesting
Reply 2
Original post by Han.oth

i believe WJEC religious is split into thirds. one third philosphy, one third ethics and another third is an actrual religion that your college chooses. also you dont have to be religious to do it at a level! im pretty sure most of my a level class was atheist/agnostic. honestly just try not to ovethink it. it took me ages to decide my a levls and i was back and forth on a few options. youre gonna be doing this for 2 years so just go with your gut and choose smth you're interested in the most. maybe try looking at the specifications online to get a feel for each one. good luck!
Original post by Han.oth
Hi i do RS for a level (wjec) i study philosophy, ethics and buddhism. the course is very content heavy however its still incredibly interesting, its debate heavy as you have to do a series of essays about explaining a certain topic and another essay for debating
Original post by Han.oth
imo sociology is much more interesting as its about real life like education and crime. the essays are actually interesting to write about, and theres sm help online for revision. rs has soooo much content to learn, and theres no point understanding the content bc theres so much and its just better to just memorise it. the essays are so hard to get top marks bc its so confusing on how to structure them, and theres barely any help online bc its not a popular subject

basically unless you’re doing rs as a career save yourself
now and pick socio🙏
Original post by Han.oth

RS is better If you want to go into law
Reply 6
Original post by Han.oth

hi, i’m in year 12 and i do both aqa a level law and sociology and i also want to go to uni for law too! any social sciences are sort of seen as lesser subjects compared to hard sciences like biology and chemistry however sociology itself is seen as a subject by many good unis including oxbridge, sociology and law are essay based but there’s skills need are slightly different, sociology i find a little more difficult as it is very content heavy and without knowing much context you can’t easily gain marks unlike law- even if you know little you can waffle your way to gaining some marks, but sociology is very interesting and what you learn about is exciting but depending on the topics your school or college does the content again can be a little difficult to understand yet it will keep you interested, so overall sociology is very interesting but it can be difficult if you do not go over your notes and revise pretty much from the start, but if you do this you’ll enjoy sociology so much like me, so if you’re wanting high grades you can easily gain them in sociology!

Quick Reply