The Student Room Group

Double Counting Highers and Advanced Highers in Same Subject

Hi I’ve just finished my highers last year I have some inquiries, I think I achieved 3 As last year and let’s say for example I need 5 A’s or 6, could I make up the A’s by achieving it in adv higher or will I be unable due to double counting, if so should I drop 2 adv to try gain 2 more A’s in different highers (for context i, I have taken 3 adv and 1 higher this year)
Original post by Grumtot
Hi I’ve just finished my highers last year I have some inquiries, I think I achieved 3 As last year and let’s say for example I need 5 A’s or 6, could I make up the A’s by achieving it in adv higher or will I be unable due to double counting, if so should I drop 2 adv to try gain 2 more A’s in different highers (for context i, I have taken 3 adv and 1 higher this year)

Hey @Grumtot 🙂 You should ask the unis you're interested in how they consider this as we're all different. At Strathclyde we double count - so if you get B in Higher English then another B at AH English we count that as BB, and your B at Higher remains (i.e. it isn't "replaced" by your AH grade). It may also depend on the subject you're interested in applying for, for example it could be a requirement that you have x amount of Highers and then achieve further AH study.

Sometimes unis might adjust their requirements to reflect your S6. For example, a conditional offer might be for you to achieve another A at Higher and a B at Advanced Higher. It just depends on the course and the uni.

Once you have your S5 grades this year I'd recommend calling up unis and they'll be happy to give advice! We run an advice line on SQA results day and we're happy to speak to new the new S6 cohort about subject choices so it's no problem at all to get in touch once you have your grades.

Good luck!!

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Grumtot 🙂 You should ask the unis you're interested in how they consider this as we're all different. At Strathclyde we double count - so if you get B in Higher English then another B at AH English we count that as BB, and your B at Higher remains (i.e. it isn't "replaced" by your AH grade). It may also depend on the subject you're interested in applying for, for example it could be a requirement that you have x amount of Highers and then achieve further AH study.
Sometimes unis might adjust their requirements to reflect your S6. For example, a conditional offer might be for you to achieve another A at Higher and a B at Advanced Higher. It just depends on the course and the uni.
Once you have your S5 grades this year I'd recommend calling up unis and they'll be happy to give advice! We run an advice line on SQA results day and we're happy to speak to new the new S6 cohort about subject choices so it's no problem at all to get in touch once you have your grades.
Good luck!!
Caitlin 🎓️

Hi thanks for reaching out, I think it would probably be most beneficial for me to just take a few more highers to achieve 5 As. Do you know the policy’s for the unis in Scotland?, I know Glasgow double count also and Edinburgh’s policy was a bit vague
Original post by Grumtot
Hi thanks for reaching out, I think it would probably be most beneficial for me to just take a few more highers to achieve 5 As. Do you know the policy’s for the unis in Scotland?, I know Glasgow double count also and Edinburgh’s policy was a bit vague

Hello! There's not a general rule for Scottish universities as we all have different requirements and admissions processes so call up universities and ask them what their policy is 🙂 I can only speak for Strathclyde in saying that we double count.
You can phone us on results days as we'd be happy to give advice for S6 on the SQA results day, and it's easier to give appropriate advice once you know your results too.

Caitlin 🎓️

Quick Reply