The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get a gcse grade removed from your certificate

I did further maths in year 10 and im doing it again in year 11 now. Last year I got an 8 but this year i've done so bad on paper 1 that i think I might even fail the exam, so is it possible to have my old grade on the certificate rather than the new grade?
Reply 1
no
As above, no. And also if/when you apply to university, you are required to declare all qualifications attempted, regardless of whether you were successful, and if you don't your application can be flagged as fraudulent by UCAS and cancelled, with universities that may have made offers able to nullify them, and you can be excluded from that and future application cycles by UCAS.

Fortunately however few universities will care about a single GCSE grade anyway. So while you can't remove it and have to declare it, it's not really an issue anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
As above, no. And also if/when you apply to university, you are required to declare all qualifications attempted, regardless of whether you were successful, and if you don't your application can be flagged as fraudulent by UCAS and cancelled, with universities that may have made offers able to nullify them, and you can be excluded from that and future application cycles by UCAS.
Fortunately however few universities will care about a single GCSE grade anyway. So while you can't remove it and have to declare it, it's not really an issue anyway.

Hii, thankyou so much for replying. Would getting a low grade in further maths, like a grade 4, impact my chances of getting into certain universities? I was aiming for universities like Oxbridge (although its unrealistic with my academics) and would a grade 4 in further maths reduce my chances of getting in, or would they consider the grade 8 that I got instead? The thing I'm worried about is explaining why I got a lower grade despite retaking the exam a year later. I did revise for the exam throughout year 11 but chemistry happened to fall on the same day and I prioritised chemistry much much more since I did horrible on the first paper, and after getting into that Chemistry mindset I couldn't really concentrate on the questions in the fm exam and messed up a load of questions through silly mistakes. Would universities take this into account or will I automatically be rejected? To be honest, the reason I did worse is because of my poor time management during revision, and I'm afraid this will show when I apply to universities.
Original post by seagull11
Hii, thankyou so much for replying. Would getting a low grade in further maths, like a grade 4, impact my chances of getting into certain universities? I was aiming for universities like Oxbridge (although its unrealistic with my academics) and would a grade 4 in further maths reduce my chances of getting in, or would they consider the grade 8 that I got instead? The thing I'm worried about is explaining why I got a lower grade despite retaking the exam a year later. I did revise for the exam throughout year 11 but chemistry happened to fall on the same day and I prioritised chemistry much much more since I did horrible on the first paper, and after getting into that Chemistry mindset I couldn't really concentrate on the questions in the fm exam and messed up a load of questions through silly mistakes. Would universities take this into account or will I automatically be rejected? To be honest, the reason I did worse is because of my poor time management during revision, and I'm afraid this will show when I apply to universities.

None of your assumptions about how universities review candidates tally with the available information.

Firstly universities aren't going to consider whether you had one or more exams on a given day. This is an ordinary occurrence that routinely happens for all applicants. Equally, they do not expect you to "explain" any grades specifically - at most, if a particular exam was affected by extenuating circumstances, it would be for your referee to discuss in their reference.

Secondly though, generally most universities don't care much about GCSEs at all besides minimum grade requirements for English language/maths (regular maths, not further...). For the few that do score GCSEs as part of a shortlisting process, a single low grade is unlikely to be the sole reason for an applicant being rejected.

Your A-levels, having passing (or sometimes higher) grades in GCSE English language and maths (regular maths...) and your overall GCSE profile are far more important than a single GCSE option. I realise these are the only qualifications you've known so they seem to be the most important thing in the world to you but I assure you: they are certainly not.

You're wasting far more time and energy thinking about this than it merits and you would be better off dedicating that time to preparing for your other exams and/or making the most of your free time while you have it for the summer.

It would be entirely possible to get into certainly at least some if not most courses at either Oxford or Cambridge with that background assuming otherwise good performance in your GCSEs and more importantly in your A-levels.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by seagull11
I did further maths in year 10 and im doing it again in year 11 now. Last year I got an 8 but this year i've done so bad on paper 1 that i think I might even fail the exam, so is it possible to have my old grade on the certificate rather than the new grade?

I got a U in further math back in year 11 as I didn’t even know I was on the course, but don’t worry it didn’t show on my certificate

Quick Reply