The Student Room Group

gcse chemistry aqa

If I rounded some of my answers to 1dp or less significant figures (even tho the q didn't ask us to), will I lose marks? For example, rounded 11.253 to 11.3 and put that in the answer box. I also put the correct answer in my working out, but wanna know if the examiner needs the full answer in the answer box or if they may just gloss over it. I have seen that it is okay to round and convention, but kinda freaking out!!!! Please let me know and be completely honest
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
If I rounded some of my answers to 1dp or less significant figures (even tho the q didn't ask us to), will I lose marks? For example, rounded 11.253 to 11.3 and put that in the answer box. I also put the correct answer in my working out, but wanna know if the examiner needs the full answer in the answer box or if they may just gloss over it. I have seen that it is okay to round and convention, but kinda freaking out!!!! Please let me know and be completely honest

hello if the question doesn't ask just round it to a sensible amount of decimal places and if will be fine! I usually put in my working outs how I have rounded it so whoever marks can see where I have gotten the answer from!
My teacher said as a tip if the question in there for example includes a number with 3 decimal places do that :smile:
Reply 2
thank youuuu so much, appreciate it loads!! I was so worried of being penalised for rounding most of my answers! So I def won't lose marks for let's say rounding 3dp to just 1dp right? I also did show how I rounded in my working, so I hope it is okay. Have an amazing day and good luck for ur exams 🙂
Reply 3
thank youuuu so much, appreciate it loads!! I was so worried of being penalised for rounding most of my answers! So I def won't lose marks for let's say rounding 3dp to just 1dp right? I also did show how I rounded in my working, so I hope it is okay. Have an amazing day and good luck for ur exams 🙂

because my teacher replied to me email with: "It really depends on the MS and the guidance to examiners. Don’t worry about it. Concentrate on the remaining exams and have a wonderful summer. " is she implying that it is incorrect to round it? Sorry, just very scared
Reply 4
because my teacher replied to me email with: "It really depends on the MS and the guidance to examiners. Don’t worry about it. Concentrate on the remaining exams and have a wonderful summer. " is she implying that it is incorrect to round it? Sorry, just very scared

no she isn't she is saying it is up to the marker whether they will allow it or not
Reply 5

no problem at all xx
Reply 6
Original post by Trickia
no she isn't she is saying it is up to the marker whether they will allow it or not

thanks, but with the stuff your teacher said, they will definitely allow it right? Because if your chemistry teacher explicitly said it is fine for AQA GCSE Chem, then I should be fine. I'm just worried bcz it may tilt my grade if the examiner doesn't accept it.
Reply 7
thanks, but with the stuff your teacher said, they will definitely allow it right? Because if your chemistry teacher explicitly said it is fine for AQA GCSE Chem, then I should be fine. I'm just worried bcz it may tilt my grade if the examiner doesn't accept it.

Unfortunately at gcse we do edexcel but at a level it's aqa should be fine nevertheless

Quick Reply