Tricky P1 Maths Questions (debatable)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
yes, but how is that relevant.
Trying to test us, I think. I hold an A-level in Maths.
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
Get back to the orignal equation:

4 - 3(root2) / 5 - 3(root2) =0

If we multiply by the denominator we get

((4-3(root2))((5-3(root2) = 20 -12roo2-15root2+12

therefor the answer is:

32-27root2
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
..........damn! i was looking at the wrong thingy.of course...........
2 - (5x + 2) is like (2) -1(5x + 2)
which gives: (2) - 5x - 2
which gives: -5x (2-2)
which leaves: -5x

i was looking at some other crap and getting confused by mixing up 2 questions...........*bangs head against the wall and gets new pair of glasses*
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Get back to the orignal equation:

4 - 3(root2) / 5 - 3(root2) =0

If we multiply by the denominator we get

((4-3(root2))((5-3(root2) = 20 -12roo2-15root2+12

therefor the answer is:

32-27root2
no but it doesnt equal 0!!!
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
no but it doesnt equal 0!!!
I dont know, cause the other person wouldn't tell me if f(x) = 0 or not, so I presumed so.
Ralfskini
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
It equals -1.090568824 (9.d.p)
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
It equals -1.090568824 (9.d.p)
Didn't the person want it expressed as p+q(root2)?
Ralfskini
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
work it out on a calculator... and I dont know where u got f(x) from when there are no x's the original identity!
Ralfskini
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Indeed they did. And Ive done it twice for each interpretation I made of what they wrote.
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
work it out on a calculator... and I dont know where u got f(x) from when there are no x's the original identity!
If you knew anything about maths, f(x) means the function.
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
4-3root2 / 5-3root2 can be expressed as

(4-3^1/2)
-----------
(5-3^1/2)
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i got 2/7 - 3/7 root 2
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
i got 2/7 - 3/7 root 2
I agree
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i got 2/7 - 3/7 root 2
could you show me how you did that? Please.
Ralfskini
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i got 2/7 - 3/7 root 2
THANK YOU, thats wot i got bout half an hour ago!!! (scroll up)
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I get 2/7 - 3/7(root2)
I agreed with you first
Ralfskini
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
If you knew anything about maths, f(x) means the function.
Yes. I do know a lot about maths. And I would expect you to know that you cant just turn something into a function for convenience, nor can you assume it is equal to 0. Those assertions wont help
Ralfskini
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
I agreed with you first
thank yo
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i got 2/7 - 3/7 root 2
****!!! I dont think I can do this, my mind is in a block at the moment, could somebody, anybody show how they did that.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.79%
Okay (99)
29.38%
A bit lacking (122)
36.2%
Not good at all (83)
24.63%

Watched Threads