Tricky P1 Maths Questions (debatable)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Yes. I do know a lot about maths. And I would expect you to know that you cant just turn something into a function for convenience, nor can you assume it is equal to 0. Those assertions wont help
I know :rolleyes: Could you explain how you got the answer, because I dont think I can do this, DAMN!!!
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
one other little query.

if you have: 3 < -3x
does this become: -1 > x

the sign does reverse in this situation, correct?
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
one other little query.

yes.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
one other little query.

yes
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
****!!! I dont think I can do this, my mind is in a block at the moment, could somebody, anybody show how they did that.
I'll just write it out in Word, copy and paste into paint, save as jpeg, and you'll see the result in like 5 minutes.... brb
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
I'll just write it out in Word, copy and paste into paint, save as jpeg, and you'll see the result in like 5 minutes.... brb
Thanks Elpaw.
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Thanks Elpaw.
Here it is:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1957/surd.gif
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Here it is:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1957/surd.gif
Why 5+3root2 as opposed to 5-3root2???
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Why 5+3root2 as opposed to 5-3root2???
because (a+b)(a-b) = a² - b², with no terms in ab. (ie you leave the terms with rt 2 out, and (rt 2)² = 2. so no roots in the denominator.
BABYGUY
Rep:
*******!!! i got that ***** before!!!! thing is, u cant leave it in that form, it has to be in p + q(root2)..............so.

2- 3(root2) ---------->
-----------

2/7 - 3/7(root2)

correctumondo???? i bloody got this in the first place, and i messed about with it to get it into the form p + q(root2)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Are you taking the p***???

2-(5x+2) = -5x
I think 'babyguy' is our resident p.... taker who sets maths questions every night and then winds up our forum mathematicians. The form of communication is always the same. Ignore it!!!
P.
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
*******!!! i got that ***** before!!!! thing is, u cant leave it in that form, it has to be in p + q(root2)..............so.

2- 3(root2) ---------->
-----------

2/7 - 3/7(root2)

correctumondo???? i bloody got this in the first place, and i messed about with it to get it into the form p + q(root2)
it is the same thing. just for clarity, i have updated it: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1957/surd.gif
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 18 years ago

2- 3(root2) ---------->
-----------

2/7 - 3/7(root2)

yeh but it IS in the form p + q, p = 2/7 and q = -3/7
Bhaal85
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I see what I did wrong. I treated (4-3(root2)) as (4) and (-3root2) as seperate things.

Cheers Elpaw.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I see what I did wrong. I treated (4-3(root2)) as (4) and (-3root2) as seperate things.

Cheers Elpaw.
Duuuuuh!
Just playing!
BABYGUY
Rep:
i know, i got the exact same answer as before...but i tell you hat i tried to do:

ok, got
2 - 3(root2)
------------

i then tried to get rid of the 7 in the denominator, by doing this:

7(2 - 3root2)..........but of course *******ed ***** you dont do that...........

answer: 2/7 -3/7(root2)

and just leave it at that ******.........why bother messing with it.
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i know, i got the exact same answer as before...but i tell you hat i tried to do:

ok, got
2 - 3(root2)
------------

i then tried to get rid of the 7 in the denominator, by doing this:

7(2 - 3root2)..........but of course *******ed ***** you dont do that...........

answer: 2/7 -3/7(root2)

and just leave it at that ******.........why bother messing with it.
some people take offence to the word ****. RE: Seer a few weeks back.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
some people take offence to the word ****. RE: Seer a few weeks back.
Why, what happened there?
elpaw
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Why, what happened there?
see: http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=11750
BABYGUY
Rep:
i think some people should get a life. seer's comments were very funny and he backed them up well when he had to. its not his fault that the geeks were toilet at football.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.56%
Okay (113)
29.2%
A bit lacking (146)
37.73%
Not good at all (91)
23.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed