The Student Room Group

Do examiners mark down

I’m doing A level chemistry and was wondering whether examiners mark down your answer if you say anything incorrect/contradict yourself at the end of the answer, despite getting full marks prior.
Original post by basi90
I’m doing A level chemistry and was wondering whether examiners mark down your answer if you say anything incorrect/contradict yourself at the end of the answer, despite getting full marks prior.

It would depend on how the mark scheme has been written. Which exam board is this for?

I have certainly seen mark schemes say that if you're asked for two examples of something (for two marks) and you provide three examples, two right and one wrong, then you only get one mark. (As the wrong answer "cancels out" one of the right answers.)

For long-answer questions it's less clear cut, but the same philosophy can apply.
Original post by basi90
IMG_0425.jpeg

Taken directly from the marking guidance at the start of every AQA a level chemistry mark scheme.

Not always relevant, but illustrates one way in which you can find yourself marked down if you put a contradictory or incorrect statement in your answers.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by UtterlyUseless69
IMG_0425.jpeg
Taken directly from the marking guidance at the start of every AQA a level chemistry mark scheme.
Not always relevant, but illustrates one way in which you can find yourself marked down if you put a contradictory or incorrect statement in your answers.

What if the “wrong thing” you said isn’t in the “ignore” or “Reject” of the MS
Original post by basi90
What if the “wrong thing” you said isn’t in the “ignore” or “Reject” of the MS
Then if the examiner spots it, they will probably contact their team leader and it will fall to their discretion.
Original post by basi90

for most exams they try to mark positively so they try not to take away marks if you write something wrong but have a right bit in your answer. There are some mark schemes and questions where you are limited at marks for writing certain things tho

Quick Reply