The Student Room Group

Interested in MSc Physician Associate Studies

Hello,
I’m about to start my third year of a BSc in Pharmacology and Physiology this September, and I'm interested in pursuing postgraduate studies to become a Physician Associate. The postgraduate course lasts two years, but unfortunately, you can only take out a loan for one year. I've heard there is a HEE bursary available for Physician Associate students, which is split over the two years. Since the course is quite demanding, I wanted to ask current Physician Associate students or professionals if working on weekends is feasible given the course's intensity. Additionally, I’m looking for information on any other funding options that could support me during this course.

I've also learned about Level 7 apprenticeship programs for Physician Associates, but it appears you need to be employed with a relevant organisation first. Could anyone advise on which organisations or roles I would need to be employed in to be eligible for this apprenticeship?

Thank you!
Original post by naz_1
Hello,
I’m about to start my third year of a BSc in Pharmacology and Physiology this September, and I'm interested in pursuing postgraduate studies to become a Physician Associate. The postgraduate course lasts two years, but unfortunately, you can only take out a loan for one year. I've heard there is a HEE bursary available for Physician Associate students, which is split over the two years. Since the course is quite demanding, I wanted to ask current Physician Associate students or professionals if working on weekends is feasible given the course's intensity. Additionally, I’m looking for information on any other funding options that could support me during this course.

I've also learned about Level 7 apprenticeship programs for Physician Associates, but it appears you need to be employed with a relevant organisation first. Could anyone advise on which organisations or roles I would need to be employed in to be eligible for this apprenticeship?

Thank you!

This year's PA applicants have been chatting on a few different threads so it might be worth having a look through and posting in some of them:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7393594
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7482659
Reply 2
Original post by naz_1
Hello,
Thank you!

I am a 1st year PA student and it is VERY intense.
Personally, with having children and a house to run, I could not possibly work alongside.
A few on my course do work weekends but they don't have any other responsibilities so it can be done.

You should also get a £5500 HEE grant as well (check with your uni) which is to help towards placement costs.
Reply 3
Original post by Jotenno
I am a 1st year PA student and it is VERY intense.
Personally, with having children and a house to run, I could not possibly work alongside.
A few on my course do work weekends but they don't have any other responsibilities so it can be done.
You should also get a £5500 HEE grant as well (check with your uni) which is to help towards placement costs.

Hey, thank you for replying, I currently work weekends too while studying so I guess I'll have to see when it comes to that. I also had another question. To join the Physician Associate course did you need to do any volunteering in the NHS or have a job in the NHS to begin with?
Reply 4
Original post by naz_1
Hey, thank you for replying, I currently work weekends too while studying so I guess I'll have to see when it comes to that. I also had another question. To join the Physician Associate course did you need to do any volunteering in the NHS or have a job in the NHS to begin with?

Hey, no you don't! I'm starting my first year this September and I got in without any healthcare work experience. I would suggest explaining how your experiences have given you the transferable skills you will need to succeed in the PA course/as a PA.
Reply 5
Hey, thank you for the advice! It's reassuring to hear that you got into the PA program without any healthcare work experience. Your input has been very helpful, thanks again!
Reply 6
Original post by naz_1

I believe most unis prefer some experience in a clinical/care environment- I had 2y working 1-2-1 with a disabled Lady (private not NHS) but a couple of others on my course have no experience.

Quick Reply