The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Colleges in Scotland

I have done the AS level exam in May on the subjects of Science.I am now in the second year of A level. I am moving to Scotland in August. I want to continue my second year of A level exam in Scotland.
What is the equivalent qualification to A level in Scotland ?
How can I continue my second year of A level course in Scotland ?
Are there any Sixth form colleges which I can apply ?
Is there university entrance based exam (like A level ), in Scotland ?
Original post by Dehemi2006
I have done the AS level exam in May on the subjects of Science.I am now in the second year of A level. I am moving to Scotland in August. I want to continue my second year of A level exam in Scotland.
What is the equivalent qualification to A level in Scotland ?
How can I continue my second year of A level course in Scotland ?
Are there any Sixth form colleges which I can apply ?
Is there university entrance based exam (like A level ), in Scotland ?

Hey @Dehemi2006 🙂 Most students in Scotland sit qualifications called Highers and Advanced Highers. They are our closest equivalent of A Levels (they are qualifications are achieved in one year rather than two). Scottish universities (and those elsewhere in the UK) will consider a range of qualifications for entry. Students usually take 5 subjects in their fifth year of high school, followed by further study in sixth year.

Some schools will teach A Levels in Scotland although they're not as common. Depending on where you're based will probably depend on whether the schools are easily accessible to you. We don't really have sixth form colleges - students study at the same school for their high school career (ages approx 11-18 years), where they'll study our equivalent of GCSEs (national 4/5 qualifications), Highers and Advanced Highers.

I'd suggest a google search of "A Level schools in Scotland" will show you where you may be able to continue to study A Levels if that's the plan 🙂 If the locations don't work - I'd say reach out to some of the high schools which will be local to your area and ask what they'd recommend to help you transition in to their school subjects.

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Dehemi2006 🙂 Most students in Scotland sit qualifications called Highers and Advanced Highers. They are our closest equivalent of A Levels (they are qualifications are achieved in one year rather than two). Scottish universities (and those elsewhere in the UK) will consider a range of qualifications for entry. Students usually take 5 subjects in their fifth year of high school, followed by further study in sixth year.
Some schools will teach A Levels in Scotland although they're not as common. Depending on where you're based will probably depend on whether the schools are easily accessible to you. We don't really have sixth form colleges - students study at the same school for their high school career (ages approx 11-18 years), where they'll study our equivalent of GCSEs (national 4/5 qualifications), Highers and Advanced Highers.
I'd suggest a google search of "A Level schools in Scotland" will show you where you may be able to continue to study A Levels if that's the plan 🙂 If the locations don't work - I'd say reach out to some of the high schools which will be local to your area and ask what they'd recommend to help you transition in to their school subjects.
Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

❤️ Thank you

Quick Reply