The Student Room Group

Will Oxford accept A* A* A

I'm in yr 12 and I'm predicted A* Maths A* Further Maths and A in econ (can't get bumped up). I want to apply to Oxford for a maths degree but I'm worried it's too competitive and there's no point of applying because many people get rejected with 4 A*.

My gcses were very good and ive gotten 2 gold awards from intermediate maths challenge and 1 silver from senior maths challenge. Do you think it's worth applying or there's no point as it's too conpetitive? Thanks. Also I'm middle class and go to a selective grammar school if that helps

Scroll to see replies

I can never tell whether threads of this kind are merely seeking affirmation. With those predicted grades, and super-curricular achievements as described, you would be a competitive candidate. Whether you succeed in an application to Oxford would depend mainly on how you do in the aptitude test and at interview. Achieved and predicted grades, reference, and personal statement would also be assessed. The selection process is not a mechanical one of counting up how many A* grades a candidate has or is predicted to obtain.

Why be deterred by something being competitive? Not entering a competition is the surest way not to win that competition. You entered the Maths Challenges. Those were competitive events too.

Being middle class and attending a grammar school won't impede you. Most students who get into Oxford are middle class, and those from state schools have often attended high performing schools.

If you would like to study at Oxford, apply, choosing four other universities that appeal to you, including one safety option in case you blow up in your A Level exams.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in yr 12 and I'm predicted A* Maths A* Further Maths and A in econ (can't get bumped up). I want to apply to Oxford for a maths degree but I'm worried it's too competitive and there's no point of applying because many people get rejected with 4 A*.
My gcses were very good and ive gotten 2 gold awards from intermediate maths challenge and 1 silver from senior maths challenge. Do you think it's worth applying or there's no point as it's too conpetitive? Thanks. Also I'm middle class and go to a selective grammar school if that helps

How is your MAT prep going?

Chill out bro , Oxford doesn’t require you to have solved the earth’s mysteries In order to get in , just have a good PS & academic reference and ur chilling
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
How is your MAT prep going?

Honestly I haven't started yet but I've pretty much covered nearly everything in the syllabus. I was going to start revising for that from July all through summer. Any tips? Also is that enough time to prepare or should I just start ASAP as I really want to get into oxford
Reply 5
Original post by sayyed_91
Chill out bro , Oxford doesn’t require you to have solved the earth’s mysteries In order to get in , just have a good PS & academic reference and ur chilling

Lol I see what u mean but it's just so competitive and I don't want to apply if I feel like they'll reject me since everyone who applies usually does an epq or 4 a levels
Honestly I haven't started yet but I've pretty much covered nearly everything in the syllabus. I was going to start revising for that from July all through summer. Any tips? Also is that enough time to prepare or should I just start ASAP as I really want to get into oxford

Start now - my students started in April. Doesn't your school have an Oxbridge prep class?

As with all things, the earlier you start the better. Although I wouldn't dedicate your whole summer towards it - just do what you can. I made the mistake of only preparing a week in advance for my History admissions test for Oxford last year, and still scored in the top <1/3 applicants. You do not need to dedicate your life to revising for it; just make sure you come out knowing you tried your best.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Start now - my students started in April. Doesn't your school have an Oxbridge prep class?

I know my school offers help and prioritises people's applications when applying to oxford/Cambridge but I don't think they have a prep class. I'll look into it but I don't think they do
Reply 9
Original post by martynlowes27
As with all things, the earlier you start the better. Although I wouldn't dedicate your whole summer towards it - just do what you can. I made the mistake of only preparing a week in advance for my History admissions test for Oxford last year, and still scored in the top <1/3 applicants. You do not need to dedicate your life to revising for it; just make sure you come out knowing you tried your best.

Wow that's amazing. Did u end up receiving an offer/getting in? Thanks for the advice. I've looked at past papers for MAT and they just look very difficult so I thought I might as well dedicate lots of time to it but yh
those grades are the minimum entry requirements
I was predicted A*AA and got in 🤷🏻*♀️
Original post by Username123ab

that's amazing😄
Lol I see what u mean but it's just so competitive and I don't want to apply if I feel like they'll reject me since everyone who applies usually does an epq or 4 a levels

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Nobody can apply with certainty of a place. If you do apply, you have to be prepared to be rejected. Most applicants are rejected. Life is full of ups and downs, and nobody ever gets everything that they hope for, but you have to be in it to win it.

Listen if you shouldn’t even be tweaking about your a levels since it’s already high , you just need to bring in ur bragging rights in ur PS & academic references . What’s the point having high grades if you don’t match it with enthusiasm with the course you’re applying for?
Yes you can
Reply 16
Ask the school for Oxford admissions help.
Start MAT prep as soon as you can. As already stated, start now does not mean abandon all other work and just do MAT but literally start the journey as soon as you can. You’ve lots of time but make the first step.
If you can make the June open days then that might be really helpful- you’ll just see ‘the lie of the land’. It’s a really nice place and I’m sure you’ll want to make a successful application.

Bear in mind that roughly speaking it’s the MAT (in conjunction with your UCAS form) that’ll get you to interview.

It’s (mostly) the interview that’ll get you the place. Tempered with the MAT and prior grades.

You certainly do not need 4 A* to get an offer or to get in. It’s (largely) the test and the interview and a bit of super curricular activities.

Sounds like you’ve got predicted grades and some good super curricular activities in the bag. If you want to do something on the summer have a look online for suggested activities but a bit of reading and exploring an area that’s not taught in your A Levels is always good.

When you get an interview offer then there’s some really good YouTube videos that can help you understand what they’re after. Your school will more than likely help with some practise there.
Original post by AnonOxE
Ask the school for Oxford admissions help.
Start MAT prep as soon as you can. As already stated, start now does not mean abandon all other work and just do MAT but literally start the journey as soon as you can. You’ve lots of time but make the first step.
If you can make the June open days then that might be really helpful- you’ll just see ‘the lie of the land’. It’s a really nice place and I’m sure you’ll want to make a successful application.
Bear in mind that roughly speaking it’s the MAT (in conjunction with your UCAS form) that’ll get you to interview.
It’s (mostly) the interview that’ll get you the place. Tempered with the MAT and prior grades.
You certainly do not need 4 A* to get an offer or to get in. It’s (largely) the test and the interview and a bit of super curricular activities.
Sounds like you’ve got predicted grades and some good super curricular activities in the bag. If you want to do something on the summer have a look online for suggested activities but a bit of reading and exploring an area that’s not taught in your A Levels is always good.
When you get an interview offer then there’s some really good YouTube videos that can help you understand what they’re after. Your school will more than likely help with some practise there.

Thanks for the advice. I'm certain that I'm going to apply to Oxford and prepare myself for the test
Reply 18

Start now.
Original post by Username123ab

Congrats on getting in! If you don't mind sharing, what course was this for, and were you contextual? Totally fine if you'd prefer not to share though!

Quick Reply