The Student Room Group

triple science

is it possible to switch from combined science to triple in y10? according to mocks, class tests and grades?
Hey! I wanted to move to triple for ages and only got to do so in Easter year 10. Gna b honest, for the first few lessons I felt so out of place, but then it was literally fine. I mean, idk what exam board u do, for me I do AQA and for Bio P1 it’s almost identical content, p2 there’s a bit more but it’s all relatively understandable. For chemistry I rlly would recommend asking ur teacher coz there’s loads of mini topics in both p1 and p2 that aren’t covered in combined so you’d want to briefly catch up on those (but trust it’s not too hard). Then for physics idk coz I happened to join literally at my next lesson so that transition was rlly smooth and I don’t think I missed any content. Tough luck if I did coz the exams over now :P
Anyway, I would strongly recommend going for the triple science especially if that’s something you enjoy for perhaps consider for A-Level. Also, make sure to really push for it, in my school it wasn’t enough just to do well in tests, you had to really ask.
I went from a predicted 7-8 in combined to predicted 8,8,9 at triple, coz I wanted to prove that I could do it to my old chem teacher (who basically said I wasn’t smart enough). Hoping that results day proves her wrong.
Anyways, good luck and hope that my advice helped :smile:)
Reply 2
how did you move up from combined to triple? my exam board is also AQA and I'm currently in y9, but I wanna start revising now so I can move up quicker, What method worked for you?
Original post by hm10_05
how did you move up from combined to triple? my exam board is also AQA and I'm currently in y9, but I wanna start revising now so I can move up quicker, What method worked for you?
I made a point of doing challenges in lessons and making sure to try and go above and beyond with homework. I then spoke to teachers about wanted to move up to triple and I also booked a meeting with head of science to ask to move up to triple science. In terms of revision, maybe make condensed notes on each lesson for summary reviews.
I had one friend who asked in year 9 and was moved up immediately when they made lots of changes. I tutored that same friend, and she then scored better than me in the tests and because she asked she moved up. In year 10 I then realised that most people in my class who were at a similiar academic level to me had moved up (basically all my friends). So I emailed my head of science and booked a meeting to discuss it. He then spoke to my science teachers and said that my chem teacher believed I’d ‘struggle’ with triple chemistry science. I then studied rlly hard for science tests and kept asking to move up to show determination then after Xmas he said he’d move me up but it didn’t actually happen until the week before Easter holidays. So yeah that was my story I hope that helps :smile:
Basically just don’t be afraid to ask. And make sure to show that ur determined to pursue science (you don’t have to be but teachers are more likely to move u up if they think u wanna be the next Einstein or smthg)
(P.S, despiste what my chem teacher said I got an 8 in the last mock and am going to do Chemistry A-Level in September and get and A* to prove her wrong :biggrin:)
Have a lovely rest of ur day :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hm10_05
is it possible to switch from combined science to triple in y10? according to mocks, class tests and grades?

I have no idea what the transition is like as I did it from the outset, so read the other replies if that's what you're interested in.

But I just wanted to say if you're planning to do it at a level (as people have mentioned) I'd definitely recommend pushing to switch. I have a friend who did double and now she's doing a level chem and she's seriously struggled because there's a lot of 'expected knowledge' that she was never taught. It will very much help you in the long run if this is what you're working towards.
Original post by hm10_05

depends, ask your teacher, but probably yes - it might be hard at first though

Quick Reply