The Student Room Group

Are grade boundaries 2024 going to be higher?

Are grade boundaries for 2024 going to be like the 2023 ones or are they more likely to look like the pre-covid, 2019 or 2018 ones?

I know this is dependent on exam boards and how hard an exam was, but in general is there any direction in which way the grade boundaries will be heading?

Looking at OCR A FM grade boundaries, the A* boundary in 2023 was similar to the grade A boundary in 2019, but there wasn't a huge difference in the difficulty of papers between these years.
I'm not sure if 2024 papers have been harder than previous years, either.

I just want to gauge how much I should stress about meeting offer conditions 😭

Please lmk your thoughts 👍
Pretty sure 2019 grade boundaries +/- 3 marks
Reply 2
Original post by PreciseOmission
Pretty sure 2019 grade boundaries +/- 3 marks

I thought they were reformed to account for this? Regardless, is there hope that the boundaries will be similar to 2023 level?
Original post by Brooklyn77
Are grade boundaries for 2024 going to be like the 2023 ones or are they more likely to look like the pre-covid, 2019 or 2018 ones?

I know this is dependent on exam boards and how hard an exam was, but in general is there any direction in which way the grade boundaries will be heading?

Looking at OCR A FM grade boundaries, the A* boundary in 2023 was similar to the grade A boundary in 2019, but there wasn't a huge difference in the difficulty of papers between these years.
I'm not sure if 2024 papers have been harder than previous years, either.

I just want to gauge how much I should stress about meeting offer conditions 😭

Please lmk your thoughts 👍

We will know this on results day. My thoughts is to not stress so much about trying to predict grade boundaries and instead just focus on the exams themselves and hopefully getting marks.
Original post by Brooklyn77
I thought they were reformed to account for this? Regardless, is there hope that the boundaries will be similar to 2023 level?

Yes, there is hope the lit boundries might stay the same, biology and chem boundaries could stay the same aswell or very similar, overall I don’t think the boundries will be a lot higher bc if you look at the pattern - 2021 to 2022 was the biggest rise 2022-2023 was only a small rise by a few marks, so most likely grade boundries will increase by 2-3 marks
I am absolutely stressing about physics- paper 1 was terrible but I think I still managed to pull of about 80% but paper 2 and 3 were meant to be easier, but I think I messed up some easy questions...
Original post by chinnu30306
I am absolutely stressing about physics- paper 1 was terrible but I think I still managed to pull of about 80% but paper 2 and 3 were meant to be easier, but I think I messed up some easy questions...

There are only two papers for physics…
Original post by AnonymousShark07
Oh sorry I thought you were talking about GCSE
Original post by AnonymousShark07

Depends on exam board, mine has three (edexcel)
Reply 9

How are you saying Paper 1 went terrible yet you say you managed to pull of 80%.

Brah
Original post by Momand
How are you saying Paper 1 went terrible yet you say you managed to pull of 80%.

But grade boundaries for A level physics tend to be pretty high- about 80% for A* and I think I could’ve done better on papers 2 and 3…
Reply 12
But grade boundaries for A level physics tend to be pretty high- about 80% for A* and I think I could’ve done better on papers 2 and 3…

Yh fairs.
For me paper 1 and paper 3 went well, but paper 2 caused problems for me especially that 6 marker balloon.

me I don't do physics i do maths fm and economics but really?! I thought physics was meant to have been the hardest a level, especially after the things i heard after paper 2, an dlast year was hard too, so i would've thought that the grade boundaries are lower for the subject tho no?
Original post by Momand
Yh fairs.
For me paper 1 and paper 3 went well, but paper 2 caused problems for me especially that 6 marker balloon.

Hmm, are you talking about a different exam board maybe? I’m talking about OCR A
Original post by JVorJrose
me I don't do physics i do maths fm and economics but really?! I thought physics was meant to have been the hardest a level, especially after the things i heard after paper 2, an dlast year was hard too, so i would've thought that the grade boundaries are lower for the subject tho no?

I really, really hope you’re right and the grade boundaries fall… thanks for the reassurance!
ayyy haha you're welcome! also well I mean it was seriously hard; thought i'm vouching for my aqa brothers n sisters when talking about physics (from my school and from what ive seen on reddit) i'm sure it will be a universal thing; in a similar way how for further maths edexcel some modules were hard and same with ocr too so yeah it should work out still for real
Reply 17
Hmm, are you talking about a different exam board maybe? I’m talking about OCR A
Ohhhhhh - I thought you were talking about edexcel lol
Overall a B in chem was 58 marks last year this year it could drop to 55 or 56. A B in biology last year was around 42 so this year maybe 45. If it’s bad it will prolly be 48. Maths a C was like 41 so again it could be like 45 or 47.

Quick Reply