The Student Room Group

advice on picking uni course

i’m an S6 student now studying AH Maths, Chemistry, Physics & H Human Bio. i’ve always loved all three subjects, in higher physics the topics i was most interested in is particle physics, as well as some of the electricity uni about semi conductors, junctions etc. In maths my favourite part is calculus, and chemistry my favourite topics are physical chemistry i.e orbitals, electronic configuration etc

my problem is that when ucas applications start in a couple months i cant decide what i want to apply for, my current considerations are Maths, Mathematical Physics, Chemical Physics, and Chemical engineering. if i was to pick one of the sciences or maths i dont know yet what Id like to do as a career, so hence why im considering chemical engineering as it incorporates the three and has very solid career options, for a while ive thought id be interested to go into some sort of climate work such as sustainable energy, or like mathematical modelling of climate things

can anyone who has maybe had similar thoughts give some advice, or anyone studying these degrees tell me what they enjoy about the courses
Original post by jacgr
i’m an S6 student now studying AH Maths, Chemistry, Physics & H Human Bio. i’ve always loved all three subjects, in higher physics the topics i was most interested in is particle physics, as well as some of the electricity uni about semi conductors, junctions etc. In maths my favourite part is calculus, and chemistry my favourite topics are physical chemistry i.e orbitals, electronic configuration etc
my problem is that when ucas applications start in a couple months i cant decide what i want to apply for, my current considerations are Maths, Mathematical Physics, Chemical Physics, and Chemical engineering. if i was to pick one of the sciences or maths i dont know yet what Id like to do as a career, so hence why im considering chemical engineering as it incorporates the three and has very solid career options, for a while ive thought id be interested to go into some sort of climate work such as sustainable energy, or like mathematical modelling of climate things
can anyone who has maybe had similar thoughts give some advice, or anyone studying these degrees tell me what they enjoy about the courses

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a fourth year in natural sciences at Lancaster. I remember being in a similar situation when I applied as I knew I loved science but couldn't decide which degree to study (for me, I was torn between chemistry and biochemistry). I have found that natural sciences to be a great option for me as it allowed me to keep up all of my science interests and gave the flexibility to pick modules from a range of science departments.

The way it works at Lancaster is you pick three pathways from a range of sciences including chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. In first year you spend equal time on each pathway but from second year onwards you have much more flexibility with your module choices and can choose the weighting between each pathway or even drop a pathway if you like. This was useful for me as in first year I chose synthetic chemistry, physical chemistry and biochemistry pathways but in second year I was able to drop my physical chemistry pathway to allow for a greater focus on biochemistry.

It's worth noting that each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

One of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet. Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture. It’s also great to see how all the different sciences interlink and you can often apply something you learnt in one subject to one of your other pathways which is fascinating!

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any!

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply