The Student Room Group

Spanish Vs Geography A Level

I am currently torn between my A-level choices. I have picked bio, chem, maths and spanish for a level but now I am wondering if an a-level language would be too much especially since I want to do medicine and already have 2 sciences and maths. I picked those 3 because I really enjoy them and picked Spanish as a fourth to try, as I thought it would be different. But I have heard languages at a-level have a high workload and so i wanted to know if it would be better if I swapped it with geography which I know is more structured in its revision. I really enjoy geography and spanish so I'm not sure what to do.
Original post by Riri0765
I am currently torn between my A-level choices. I have picked bio, chem, maths and spanish for a level but now I am wondering if an a-level language would be too much especially since I want to do medicine and already have 2 sciences and maths. I picked those 3 because I really enjoy them and picked Spanish as a fourth to try, as I thought it would be different. But I have heard languages at a-level have a high workload and so i wanted to know if it would be better if I swapped it with geography which I know is more structured in its revision. I really enjoy geography and spanish so I'm not sure what to do.

i feel like you should wait till results day to see which one you get a higher grade in , or you can always take both(to see what it's like) and drop one , good luck <3
No-one needs 4 A levels. Unis only want 3 grades and the other subject will just be ignored - its therefore literally a waste of time. AAA will always look better than ABBB - and that could cost you a Uni place. Stick with the Chem, Bio and 1 other subject..

Also - you don't need to be 'taking an A level' to keep studying a language - and extra-curricular language lessons will be available at most Unis alongside your degree.

Bio and chem and maths is already enough. Why dont you look into doing an EPQ and see if there's any topic related in the medicine field that you like to write about.

I do Spanish, biology and chemistry. I’d say Spanish is nice as I use a different part of my brain and it’s a nice change from all the science. Knowing another language is also a skill that employers really like. But as others have said, 4 a levels is a lot and you could just do Duolingo or something . At my school you can do a language AS level over 2 years. Maybe you could do this instead?
I take and enjoy Spanish, it is not easy. I enjoy the speaking and translating but despise essay writing about books and films. If you are aiming for an A/A* in Spanish it will require significant work and has to be done over time as the skills in this subject are longitudinal, like improving pronunciation or spotting translation tricks. Its a really nice A level to have to hand but, especially since its grade boundaries are very high, it will require consistent work for the top grades, if you are committed you will enjoy it.

Quick Reply